RFE for Re-entry- Help wanted

Antik

Registered Users (C)
I went to Canada on November 25, 1999 and came back on the 27th. Some of my friends and I drove there to see Niagara. On the way back to USA, when our car stops at the Buffalo, NY border one immigration officer approached us to check out our passport, I-94, and I-20 (at that time I was on F1 status). Immigration officer did not even ask us to get out of your vehicle. She merely looked at our papers and let us go without putting any arrival stamp or keeping any record. Things wee pretty easy at that time.

Now they want proof of my re-entry on November 27, 1999. Anybody has any idea how to address this RFE?

-Antik
RD: Aug-02

Usually there is no re-entry stamp when you enter by road from Canada. Mention that in your response to RFE.

True

Yes, usually they don't stamp the passport on road. I travelled couple of times. Both of the times, I asked them please sir stamp my passport and give me new I-94. One time they just stamped but did not give new I-94, another time they gave both.

In your case write a compelling letter describing the whole situation. Mention the date, port of entry, time etc. If you can call that port of entry, describe them that you are asked to send the proof. They will tell you that they usually don't stamp. Ask his name and designation. Mention that in your letter.

What else you could do??

Wasn't there a provision of some sorts those days that you could travel to Canada and back without surrendering your I94 or getting a stamp if the travel to Canada was less than 30 days? Hope someone can elaborate on that more.

All the best. It should work out fine.

Automatic Revalidation

Yes, there was a rule called automatic revalidation what allows you to re enter from Canada/Mexico if you stay less than 30 days and don't travel outside those countries. However, it does not mentionm anywhere that you won't need I-94, or you will not be stamped. This is upto the immigration officer. He can always give a new I-94 or stamp the passport or both. I visited canada couple of times using that automatic revalidation rule. Both time they were not giving me stamp/I-94 willingly, but I asked please stamp the passport to have my record. They did it.