RFE for Outstanding Professor

mgoyal74

Registered Users (C)
I am a Professor at the University of Maryland. I joined in June 2005. We submitted my I-140 under EB1 in Dec 2007.

We received an RFE asking us to show three years experience in research and teaching.

Will the three years be counted as of the current date (in which case I should be fine), or the date of first submitting the I-140?

Also, how can I show a part of my PhD as counting towards the three year experience?

Thanks in advance!

Three years will be counted from the day of your I-140 filling. You cannot show your Ph.D as the part of research and training

I think you can use PhD as research experience as long as the research accomplishment was extraordinary. I think other experienced members could give you more inputs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technically speaking Ph.D is research training. so it can be counted towards your research years criteria.
if during your Ph.D you were TA, then that also can be counted as teaching experience.
it all depends on how you draft it.
Research experience means doing research whether it is supervised training or not. so by the time you finish Ph.D. you already have 3-5 years of experience depending on your duration of Ph.D.

show ur Ph.D. work as outstanding

Hi, You can give an effective reply by showing your Ph.D. work as outstanding. How many papers you were published from Ph.D. and the citations they got. Getting recommendation letters from international scientists who cited your Ph.D. work stating its outstanding might be one approach. Also is there any grants received based on your Ph.D. thesis?

Opinion

You might have done some teaching and research as a part of Ph.D. training. See if this could be used.

Take this RFE seriously. As far as I know, EB1 b based on OR need prior experience (I am not sure it is 2 or 3 years). Accordingly, you should comply. Take your attorney's or school officials advice.

In the worst case scenario, you could withdraw and refile.

Forum member's expertise would not be best. Seek some more counsel.

In their denial letter for my EB1-EA, they dismissed any evidence that was established after the initial filing date of the petition. I used such evidence as part of my RFE response. Therefore, I think they will consider your initial filing date as the cut-off. There is an AAO decision in regards to that and IO cited AAO decision to justify her action to dismiss evidence established after initial filing date: it is stupid isn't it? but what can you do? nothing..

Yes you CAN use your PhD research towards the three years experience as long as it contributed towards your outstanding accomplishments in the field. See the link:
http://www.twmlaw.com/new/eb1_2.html

My experience has shown that some people in this forum just make up stuff. So, do your research throughly instead of relying solely what everybody says in this forum.

Thanks everyone!

My university is in the process of preparing the response. Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Hoping for the best...