RFE for EAD - Urgent please help

jagathig

I applied for EAD renewal for the 7th year based on 485 pending status. In the application, in part 16, the category for that is (c)(09). Every year I get biometrics appointment, this time I didnt get it. I called USCIS and a few days later, I recieved a letter saying that they have my biometrics and latest pictures. Now around 2 days ago I got an RFE letter. In that it says "You have requested for employment authorization through E-filing on form I-765 based on being admitted to the United States as a NIV (E-1, E-2 or L-2) non immigrant spouse or child. You have to submit the following requested items...."Further it asks me to provide the copies of passport which contains stamp of the above mentioned visa, relationship to primary applicant etc.,
I went ahead and checked the instruction to the application and the category they are saying thos of E-1/E-2 is (a)(15) whereas I applied in (c)(09). This sure is some mixup on INS part, so I called them, the first tier of customer support barely understood the problem and forwarded it to the second tier. They understood and asked me to draft a letter.
1)Has anyone ever encountered this situation?
2)Do I need a lawyer to draft a letter or can I do it myself?
3)Although I drafted a letter explaining that I applied in the 485 pending status, I am a bit apprehensive about terminology or antagonize the officer with the tone of letter. Any thoughts?

I am running out of time for the renewal, I also took infoapass appointment but thats not until first weekend of Dec. I dont want to waste time until then. As one can expect, my whole life, kids insurance etc., is centered around this piece of document. Please help.