RFE for BC

kirankkgc

I got an RFE for birth certificate for me and my wife. In my case I do not have a bc therefore I had submitted 2 affidavit taken from my parents at the time of applying 485. My lawyer tells me that I need to submit a certificate of non-availability of birth certificate.

In my wife's case there is no name on her bc. Is it possible to update her bc with her name now? Has anyone gone thru this problem. How did you obtain non-availability of bc?
please advice.

Non - Availablity Certificate.

You can get the non-availabilty certificate if you were born in India from the office of births and deaths/Local municipal office. for your wife if her BC does not have a name then submit two affidavits from the parents.

Go to your local municipal authorities and ask them for birth certificate. If they say your birth is not registered, ask them for non-availability certificate. Then affidavits from your parents should be good enough.

For your wife, since there is no name on the birth certificate, she also needs 2 affidavits from the parents/relatives. You can go with the bc with no name or ask them for non-availability certificate.

May be enough but check with your attorney and to be safe and not to get an RFE, both non-availability and affidavits are better.

Birth Certificate

If you do NOT have a birth certificate, then a non-availability certificate from authorities & 2 affidavits from parents/ relatives are a must.
People do not follow file proper documentation & then crib about INS when they get RFE's. Ill-informed lawyers only add to the mess !!