Returning to the U.S with I-551 stamp

sharoxx

Hi everyone, I’m currently studying abroad in France and I’m going to be returning home for the holidays. I lost my green card in April and submitted my replacement application and I’m still waiting to hear back from them. They send me messages every month saying my application is still under review. I was wondering if there is going to be a problem traveling back home with just my I-551 stamp? Would they need the physical green card? Thanks in advance!

You should have no problems entering (note that a green card is just an I-551, so what you have is the same as a green card), but it's always possible that ignorant airline staff might cause you trouble.

You should have no problems entering (note that a green card is just an I-551, so what you have is the same as a green card), but it's always possible that ignorant airline staff might cause you trouble.

And if they do, insist on a supervisor and tell them to refer to the CBP carrier information guide, there’s a section on documentary requirements for LPRs which has all the non-plastic-green-card proofs of LPR status.

You should be able to - I 551 stamp acts like a green card and you should insist for them to treat it like so (maybe some printouts of USCIS guide/page and DHS page on this matter would help).

Funnily, a local DMV i went to, as well as one SSA office i had gone to, had officers that had no idea about I-551 stamp. Both gave me a hard time and i had to come by a different day to resolve the matter (after making calls here and there to inform the authorities of the issue i faced - officers not accepting my I-551 stamp as a valid GC).