Return to India after US Citizenship - Any timeline required?

Fruit_lover

Registered Users (C)
I become an US Citizen this month and have a question. I am thinking of moving back to India this June and would like to know if there are any time period etc. required to stay in after US citizenship.

I have applied for N-600 for my kids and would wait till it arrive before moving. I am yet to apply for OCI.

Thanks for all your help.

You can move at any time. Like you were NRI you will now be considered legally as a NRA.

However please note that with respect to taxation you will have to check with tax experts as to any filing for tax on world wide income. I gather you will be leaving no property or money making ventures including interest bearing accounts or investments in US.

If this is not the case then you will have to file tax yearly on these. I gather you have an OCI to move back to India or will be applying for one as soon as possible. In this case do not forget to cancel your Indian passport and have a copy of the cancelled one. Otherwise if you are applying for an OCI from India non cancellation of Indian passport will cost you dearly in terms of fines.

Any particular reason to return?

thanks for the msg. It was already a planned one and I have certain responsibilities back home. I was waitng to put my kids in school from the start of the year like June rather than going back in the middle. Atleast this would make kids comfortable in learning together and to make more friends.

I admire those NRIS who take the decision based on their kids education. Having seen the importance of shaping young minds early, as I am teacher I think you are doing the correct thing.

Keep it up. Best of luck on your other job or work related opportunities.