Responded to RFE that’s basically a mini-interview

ghoney77

Registered Users (C)
Here's my background info:
I married a USC (met it school, dated 4 yrs before marriage) and filed I-485 in Oct 2004 in NYC. Had an interview in Jan 2005 (I think the interview was so fast because I was part of NYC’s ‘3-month’ program). Interviewing officer said I would have gotten the card that day except name check has not come back. In March 2005, we relocated to Southern California. I sent all required address change forms and called the 1-800 number. Once I got to California, I made INFO PASS appointments to make sure my file got transferred. In October 2005, I got an USCIS email stating that my file was in California Service Center. (It took them 7 months to move my file?) In Feb 2006, I got a notice for and did another biometrics.

RFE:
In June 2006, I received a REF for my I-485 – it was basically a mini-interview, asking for tax returns, another affidavit of support, joint checking account, lease, credit card bills, utility bills, wedding pictures, driver's licenses, etc. Furthermore, it asked for the following silly stuff: a picture of my husband and I holding up a recent newspaper (not joking) and three things my husband and I like about each other (not joking). I sent everything in July 2006, it has been about a month since I got a USCIS email with the following message:

“On July 27, 2006, we received your response to our request for evidence
or information. However because preliminary processing was complete,
the remaining processing time will be less than the maximum stated in
this message. You will receive a written decision on this case. You can
use our processing dates to estimate when this case will be done.
Follow the the link below for current processing dates.”

Has anyone had a similar experience, and how long did it take for you to get a decision after sending in the REF? (I am about to apply for my 3rd EAD and AP - trying to be very zen about it, otherwise it drives me crazy :rolleyes We were warned that a move would delay the whole process, but we can't really put our lives on hold for the INS!)

Thank you!

ghoney77 said:
Here's my background info:
I married a USC (met it school, dated 4 yrs before marriage) and filed I-485 in Oct 2004 in NYC. Had an interview in Jan 2005 (I think the interview was so fast because I was part of NYC’s ‘3-month’ program). Interviewing officer said I would have gotten the card that day except name check has not come back. In March 2005, we relocated to Southern California. I sent all required address change forms and called the 1-800 number. Once I got to California, I made INFO PASS appointments to make sure my file got transferred. In October 2005, I got an USCIS email stating that my file was in California Service Center. (It took them 7 months to move my file?) In Feb 2006, I got a notice for and did another biometrics.

RFE:
In June 2006, I received a REF for my I-485 – it was basically a mini-interview, asking for tax returns, another affidavit of support, joint checking account, lease, credit card bills, utility bills, wedding pictures, driver's licenses, etc. Furthermore, it asked for the following silly stuff: a picture of my husband and I holding up a recent newspaper (not joking) and three things my husband and I like about each other (not joking). I sent everything in July 2006, it has been about a month since I got a USCIS email with the following message:

“On July 27, 2006, we received your response to our request for evidence
or information. However because preliminary processing was complete,
the remaining processing time will be less than the maximum stated in
this message. You will receive a written decision on this case. You can
use our processing dates to estimate when this case will be done.
Follow the the link below for current processing dates.”

Has anyone had a similar experience, and how long did it take for you to get a decision after sending in the REF? (I am about to apply for my 3rd EAD and AP - trying to be very zen about it, otherwise it drives me crazy :rolleyes We were warned that a move would delay the whole process, but we can't really put our lives on hold for the INS!)

Thank you!

I cant believe what I am reading :eek:
Anywayz, the response to your RFE simply means that its an acknowledgment that they have received the response and you will hopefully be done soon!

No one has a clue on how long it will take to make the decision. I sent my RFE response about 3 months ago ans till waiting!

Call or Infopass

ghoney77,

It seems that the approval time varies depending on the case. From the various postings on this forum, it takes from couple of weeks to several months after one sends out a reply to RFE.

I would call 1800# and at the same time try infopass to make an appointment. Another thing that I would like to suggest is not to move if possible at all until you get your case approved. Good luck!

If you look at the recent USCIS website changes, the processing time will now be counted from the date USCIS receives the RFE response.