Requiring Passports to enter Canada starting 2007

Vle

Registered Users (C)
I'm planning on going to Canada next year. I guess starting Jan. 2007 all US citizens will be required to get a passport to cross the border to Canada. Does anybody know if an asylee w/green card will need to get an RTD??

Vle said:
I'm planning on going to Canada next year. I guess starting Jan. 2007 all US citizens will be required to get a passport to cross the border to Canada. Does anybody know if an asylee w/green card will need to get an RTD??

Yes they do.

Vle said:

First of all, I think the rules apply to U.S Citizens since before they could show a birth certificate and enter canada or enter u.s. If you have a GC issued by DHS, it works and you do not need another passport. In other words, before 2007, you needed a gc no matter what to enter or leave canada or a visa. So you are ok.

However if you really want to have a passport, you can use your nP. Do not need to apply for an expensive RTD or Rentry permit.