Reporting a passport sent to the embassy as "lost"

mcfiddish

Registered Users (C)
We sent my wife's passport to the DC embassy on January 18 for the addition of extra pages. I sent it by certified mail so I know they received it. I have not heard anything since then. There are two numbers at the DC embassy for passport questions:
(202)939-9838
(202)939-9862

I've been calling a lot over the past week. The 9838 number goes to a full mailbox so you can't leave a message. The 9862 number goes to voice mail, but the message is never returned.

I called the 9862 number today and was shocked that someone actually answered. I asked about the status of my wife's passport that we sent over six weeks ago. He said he didn't know and I would have to call the 9838 number. I told him the person never picks up and the mailbox is full, and he just repeated that I have to call the 9838 number.

So I've been thinking about waiting a few more weeks, reporting the passport lost, and then we can go to the embassy in person to get a new one. I know we'd have to get a police report and redo all of the documentation. We have copies of the first and last pages.

Has anyone done this? Would they be willing to reissue a new passport, or would they refuse on the grounds that they have it somewhere? I guess that would be a good sign, as at least we'd find out what happened to it.

We have a trip to South Africa in May so once we get her passport we have to apply for a visa from them.

Thanks for any advice.

I am also in the same boat like you. Sent my passport for renewal on Feb26th and i have been calling them for the pass 2 weeks nobody is picking the phone. Finally i found something on their website which says

"Due to important technical upgrades, the consular services will be affected for 30 days from February 13, 2008. Applicants are requested to bear with some delays during this period. We will however try to maintain our scheduled processing times as much as possible.".

looks like all consulates have passport drama. I couldn't get my passport renewed at mine in NYC and needed it before my interview. I ended up sending it along with my pictures and application to my country via Fed Ex. luckily I have friends who work within the different gov't agencies , so they all pulled strings for me to get it within a week of the day I sent it over :D

Got the passport

We went down to the consulate today and pretty much spent all day there. We did end up getting the passport at the end of the day, but it was a painful experience. Those people are sorely lacking in professionalism, compassion, or plain courtesy. I don't know when or if we would have gotten the passport if we hadn't gone down there.

I hated burning a day of vacation to go to the consulate, but at least we won't have to deal with these jokers again for the time being.

Passport Renewal at Washington DC - Indian Embassy

mcfiddish:

I am in a similar boat as yours. My passport renewal is filed sometime in Jan and have not yet received it. Even I am thinking of going personally to Washington DC.

Given that you had already applied, when you went in Person to DC Office, did you had to show something to those folks as a proof that you applied by mail earlier and did you had to pay any extra to get your passport? Also, do we need to go in Morning or Evening or anytime is fine? If you can share your experience that would be great......

Thanks !!!!

I took photocopies of the old passport, as well as mail receipts, and the other supplemental information in the original application. Basically try to anticipate all of the excuses they may try to throw in your face and have some documentation ready. It's better to carry too much documentation than too little. Of course, be polite, no matter how badly you want to yell at them.

You need to go in the morning. They shut the doors at 12:30. That is something they seem to be very punctual about.

I did not pay anything extra. In fact they owe me $10 back for the mailing charges that I paid for, but I am not going to bother trying to get it.

As a side note, the South African web site was a little ambiguous as to whether an Indian national has to pay a visa fee. So I called them, they answered the phone, and told me there is no fee but a visa is required. I mailed the passport on April 1, and got it back with the visa on April 9, with a little card saying "With compliments of the South African Embassy". Isn't it nice when people actually do their jobs?

Good luck!