renewing TN-1

ymathew

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I'm about to renew my TN-1 visa and because my last experience (last year, my first time getting approved, i have the same employer and the same job) was so nightmarish at the border, I'm considering sending my letter, documentation, money order et al to the Vermont processing center. I have a few questions and if anyone can offer any informed advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

1. will I be at a disadvantage for adjudication of my case if it's mailed in?
2. the INS official said that my professional title (Technical publications writer) was dodgy and while he was approving me this time, I should think of something else for next time. This is an accurate description of my job, however, should I not stick with this job description? I think the link between my education (a literature M.A) and my job was not clear to them, would you suggest a letter from one of my professors?
3. what would be considered filing an application in a timely fashion? One month before my TN expires (beginning of july)?

I know I have asked a lot of questions, but my experience at the border last 4th of July weekend (bad choice on my part, I admit it) was so terrible that I would like to avoid it at all costs. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

renewing TN by mail

Thank you very much for your response, Brian. What industry materials would you suggest that would make clear the connection between my degree and my job? also, when I got my TN the first time, i had to go to lewiston, was rejected but sent to rainbow bridge where I talked to the 'expert' who approved me. do you think that first rejection would affect my reapplication status, even though I was subsequently approved? Thank you, by the way, for all the great information on this site and for your help.

best,
yasmin