Renewal of short term validity Indian PP

JimGren2005

Registered Users (C)
I got a short term validity Indian passport last here in NYC.It was valid till 2007 July.
I recently sent it for renewal. I got it renewed for 10 yrs but all they did was add a stamp on third page and hand wrote that it has been extended till 2016. and there was a consular general (or some other officers) stamp and signature.

It that how it supposed to be? I was expecting to get a new passport.

Please let me know if anyone has experience this
Thanks

They did the same to me

They did the same to me in Chicago. Planning on travelling to India in November. Hoping i would not have any problems entering and leaving US and India.
They said the reason for issuing a one year valid passport was becuase my EAD had less than 1 year to expire and since now i got my green card, they just extended the shortterm validity passport to 10 more years without issuing a new passport. They just wrote in the third page about the expiration.

What does EAD validity has to do with Passport? It sounds pertty silly to me. Having an EAD expriring in 12 months does not mean you cant travel after that.

????

i guess they do not want any Indian to become illegal in this country, which is true if you have an expired EAD. What is your status? You have your green card ?

Yes I have my GC, but was just curious. Getting illegal in this country does not make you loose your Indian Citizenship. They cant refuse to renew your passport.