Registration of aliens from certain countries.

andyadhi

Registered Users (C)
Hi, I am a student on a F1 visa. I am a citizen of India but I was born in Syria and lived there for four years. My passport states my place of birth as Syria.

The new alien registration system requires citizens and nationals of Syria, Iran, Iraq, Lybia, Sudan etc to register with the INS local office and get fingerprinted and photographed.

I am wondering if this requirement is applicable to me? Please reply ASAP if you happen to know about this.

Thanks,

Andy

Originally posted by andyadhi
Hi, I am a student on a F1 visa. I am a citizen of India but I was born in Syria and lived there for four years. My passport states my place of birth as Syria.

The new alien registration system requires citizens and nationals of Syria, Iran, Iraq, Lybia, Sudan etc to register with the INS local office and get fingerprinted and photographed.

I am wondering if this requirement is applicable to me? Please reply ASAP if you happen to know about this.

Thanks,

Andy

Yes, it does. It seems pretty clear to me.

Brian

Well what I am confused about is that the law says this is applicable only to the NATIONALS or CITIZENS of the designated countries. But, I am neither a national nor a citizen of Syria. Moreover, India does not allow dual citizenship. It just happens to be my place of birth. So, I am confused whether I would be still considered a national of Syria.

Andy

Originally posted by andyadhi
Well what I am confused about is that the law says this is applicable only to the NATIONALS or CITIZENS of the designated countries. But, I am neither a national nor a citizen of Syria. Moreover, India does not allow dual citizenship. It just happens to be my place of birth. So, I am confused whether I would be still considered a national of Syria.

Andy

Are you sure you cannot be considered a citizen of Syria? Syria will have their own criteria, regardless of what India allows or doesn't allow. According to the INS website, dual citizens are still required to register.

Brian