Registration not needed :)

SimFox3

Registered Users (C)
Hey Guys (and Gals):
Yesterday my dad and I went to Sacramento INS because we thought that we were required to register (so did our attorney).

However, once we wasted the first hour, and they brought us in to the interviewer, the girl looked at us and smiled. She told us we didn't have to register on two counts.

Even though we both were born in Pakistan our citizenship was Swedish. And second reasons was that Europe countries give a Visa Vaiver, and not a non-immigrant visa.

She typed up two nice papers, stating on the paper that we showed up, however it is not necessary for us to register.

Good Luck To Every ONE ELSe.

You were very lucky undoubtedly. Since the law specifically states even though you are a citizen of a different or a visa waived country, however you continue to be born in the same country you were born and thus still a national of that country, e.g, Pakistan. The lady was nice enough to write you a letter which of course will prove later on, if ever needed, that you are not required to register, I think it's an innocent oversight by her.

I am in the same situation, a citizen of Canada, not even a visa waiver required. We do not need anything to get in to USA but however since I continue to be born in the selected countries that are subject to registration I had to register and it is the law. But however, since I last entered USA in 2003, I have been waived.

Pls ensure that you do not lose the letter that was issued to you. You may need that in your GC interview or processing in future.

Thanks for the info....Congratulations again!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks loveusa03,
However, I don't think you need to worry anymore about getting detained. The only people getting detained are the ones that have criminal backgrounds.. Anyway good luck.

If you live in CA, you can try to go to SAC INS... it might sound strange, but there are some really nice people there.

Good Luck,
SimFox3

loveusa read your post on Egypt nationals.

There you are saying that you talked to your lawyers and you didn't have to register and you give a long winding lecture (see the topic/reply to my email post), here/now you say you already registered!!! Please update the earlier email as you are giving people wrong info. in that email!!!

Originally posted by loveusa03
...however you continue to be born in the same country you were born ...

...however since I continue to be born in the selected countries...

ROFLMAO. :D :D :D

loveusa03:

What do you mean, "continue to be born"? I thought people were born only once. How can you "continue" to be born in selected countries?

:D :p :p :p :D

MMX,

Merely born in a a selected country and being a citizen of a non selected country doesn not waive you from registration. That's what I meant. I do not have to register beacuse I have last entered USA this year, which by-law doesn't not require any one to register. My guess, they are now able to track every one by their I-94 anyway. Didn't mean to confuse any of you.

ST8,

"continue to be born' means regardless of your current citizenship no one can change their place of birth, yes since you were born once. The term is widely used by the lawyers these days. INS has been very particular about the place of birth and they registration law does say- if you are born in one of the selected countries that are subject to the registration you have to register. Current citizenship does not waive you from registration rather other factors may.