registration for nationals from india and all other countries planned

ton_ton

Registered Users (C)
Hopefully our 485s are approved by this time!

http://www.indolink.com/News/NRI/news_012103-095903.php

New York, Jan. 21 (NNN): Even as the United States on Monday reiterated that registration programme for Pakistani men living in America cannot be changed and that they could not be exempted from the proposed plan, Indian nationals (male 18-45 years) would too be required to register under the new government laws, beginning from May or June of this year, according to informed sources here. It is worth mentioning here that so far the United States has asked only nationals of 25 Muslim nations and North Korea to register with the US Immigration and Naturalization Services (INS) in an effort to curb terrorism.

Nevertheless, countries like India, Nepal, and Sri Lanka are expected to be placed on the list of countries whose nationals would be required to register under such laws, sources said.

The US State Department spokesman Philip Reeker told news reporters last Thursday that the registration process was not Muslim countries specific. "Eventually we will have structures in place for registering everyone from all countries of the world to register," he said.

One of the reasons why the US government had not included nationals of all countries immediately was to forestall the overwhelming rush at its immigrations offices. Hence the NSEERS programme is expected to proceed in batches.

Meanwhile, rejecting Islamabad’s pleas on the matter, US Secretary of State Colin L. Powell, reiterated on Monday that the registration programme for Pakistani men living in the US cannot be changed and that they could not be exempted from the programme.

Responding to a question after United Nations Security Council´s meeting on terrorism, Powell said: "Those who are legally here have nothing to fear. Others should sort out their cases with the immigration authorities."

Appreciating Pakistan´s support for the US war against terrorism he said that US has acknowledged it by helping Pakistan economically. It has also played a role in defusing tensions between India and Pakistan.

Let us go back and make India as a developed country...........

Not only for India but it will be for all other countries too.

One way it is good for the country and for the people who are living here. Special Registration is initiated in the name of security and terrorism but it was planned long time back.

Many countries going to implement the same method to control the infiltration and terrorism. India already started this process of sending back the unauthorised people who are staying there. The same is applicable to all who are staying in US without a valid visa or ...... It is not only for Indians but for all those who are staying here unauthorised.

Due to these additional work for INS, our 485 may affect badly. Any how we have our own country and we can go back and live there peacefully...... Our prime minister Vajpayee is also calling us back to serve our country and our Honorable President is dreaming India as a developed country in 20 years.

Let us go back and make India as a developed country...........

I heard the same thing

from my lawyer in the morning. She was saying that Indians & Chinese would also have to register with the INS.

my understanding from the articles about special registration, is that citizens of all the countries who need a visa to come to usa, will be eventually added to the special registration. i surely would not be surprised if i were to see special registration instructions for indians, chinese, ...

my question though, when one files for aos, one provides with more information (the biographic information, form g-325a)photographs, and finally fingerprints (of all fingers).

why does the ins then insist on a special registration, for all the non-immigrant visa holders (including the ones who have filed for aos) instead of processing the pending aos applications......

just a thought!

A very bureaucratic thing! While a number of people applying for AOS have already given fingerprints etc. There are a number of people who haven't applied for AOS. The purpose of this law is all encompassing. AOS or not you have to provide fingerprints etc. if not then when/if the INS/government finds you, you have committed a Federal offense for which the penalty is higher!

Offcourse if you are illegally here, you don't really care since you are already in trouble, but who the hell is going to explain that to the government?

It is not going

to be all encompassing. I highly doubt that they will ask the 3 million odd Mexicans living illegally in this country to come and register with the INS. I am yet to understand what will they accomplish with this. Like someone said, "Do they come and expect terrorists to come and register?" It is putting all the people who come here for better lifes under tremendous stress. They need to protect themselves, I am afraid I am not sure they have taken the best approach though. Just my thougths.

MHJ