Register Permanent Residence Message changed after Local INS transfer

ramareddy

Registered Users (C)
My Case got transfered to local INS on 4th DEC 2002. Also I got a notice from INS through my lawyer. It transfered to Atlanta.

Online message was

"On December 04, 2002, we transferred your I485 APPLICATION TO ADJUST TO
PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS to another INS office for them to schedule and
conduct your interview. Scheduling can take several months. That office will
notify you when they schedule your interview or take other action on your
case."

Today I thought to check online status. The message changed as

Application Type: I485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status

Current Status:

On December 4, 2002, we transferred your I485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status to another INS office for them to schedule and conduct your interview. Scheduling can take several months. That office will notify you when they schedule your interview or take other action on your case.

I don't understand what is the difference between Register Permanent Residence and Adjust Status to another INS office for them to schedule Interview.

If any one had the same thing please share your experience.

Register Permanent Residence

Here is my (wild) guess!

Those who were admitted legally (by inspection of visa stamp, etc. at the port of entry) on any visa can "adjust to permanent resident status" if immigration petition was approved and the petitioner is still in the US.

On the other hand, illegal immigrants (who managed to enter the US without any visa or inspection), later on can "register" their permanent residence if presidential action or similar action from congress/senate would allow them to be permanent resident (has happened in past due to general amnesty to Mexican/Latin American nationals).

This is my guess - I am not 100% sure and the guess is based on a definition provided here: http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/glossary3.htm#permanent

"Permanent Resident Alien - an alien admitted to the United States as a lawful permanent resident. Permanent residents are also commonly referred to as immigrants; however, the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) broadly defines an immigrant as any alien in the United States, except one legally admitted under specific nonimmigrant categories (INA section 101(a)(15)). An illegal alien who entered the United States without inspection, for example, would be strictly defined as an immigrant under the INA but is not a permanent resident alien. Lawful permanent residents are legally accorded the privilege of residing permanently in the United States. They may be issued immigrant visas by the Department of State overseas or adjusted to permanent resident status by the Immigration and Naturalization Service in the United States."

Last edited by a moderator: