Regarding J-1 waiver

Anjali08

Hello,
I have been offered a position of RA in a research lab in the US on J-1 visa. I wanted to apply for H-1B visa in the future and wanted to know how likely and easy is the process to apply for J-1 waivers. I also wanted to know if it discourages companies to hire someone who has a 212e 2-year home country residency requirement?
Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you

Hello,
I have been offered a position of RA in a research lab in the US on J-1 visa. I wanted to apply for H-1B visa in the future and wanted to know how likely and easy is the process to apply for J-1 waivers. I also wanted to know if it discourages companies to hire someone who has a 212e 2-year home country residency requirement?
Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you
Hi, I'm not an expert or a lawyer on this but I can share my analysis of the process and try to answer your question.
Companies do not usually retract that you have a J1 with the 212(e). This 2-year rule is solved with the request for a waiver. I leave you the link where you have the direct information. The process if everything goes well is around 6 months. On the page it talks about 12 to 16 weeks if it is NOS (No Objection Statement) which is possibly the type of waiver that you should request due to the characteristics of your VISA. Although there is the information for you to identify what your case would be.