regarding EAD

priya777

Registered Users (C)
i got ead(secondary person) yestesday.and also i applied H1 B which got approved 1 week back and i want to take SSN. so my question is with
what(H1B or EAD) i should apply for SSN). Do i need to apply SSN with EAD or H1 B? which one will be better ? please let me know.

im on the same boat,,, H1 is valid only from oct 1st, if u want to apply SSN on H1 u need to wait,,, it doesn't make any difference with what u r applying,,, i have applied for my SSN last week on my EAD, they just want a proof of ur work eligibility,,, it wouldn't make any difference if u show them ur H1 or EAD.

im on the same boat,,, H1 is valid only from oct 1st, if u want to apply SSN on H1 u need to wait,,, it doesn't make any difference with what u r applying,,, i have applied for my SSN last week on my EAD, they just want a proof of ur work eligibility,,, it wouldn't make any difference if u show them ur H1 or EAD.

Thanks

As per SSA office, it appears it is better if you take SSN based on EAD.

Check this site:
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10002.html

Especially the following question.

Are there different types of cards?

We issue three types of Social Security cards. All cards show your name and Social Security number.

* The first type of card shows your name and Social Security number and lets you work without restriction. We issue it to:
o U.S. citizens; and
o People lawfully admitted to the United States on a permanent basis.
* The second type of card shows your name and number and notes, “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION.” We issue this type of card to people lawfully admitted to the United States on a temporary basis who have DHS authorization to work.
* The third type of card shows your name and number and notes, “NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT.” We issue it to people from other countries:
* Who are lawfully admitted to the United States without work authorization from DHS, but with a valid nonwork reason for needing a Social Security number; or
* Who need a number because of a federal law requiring a Social Security number to get a benefit or service.

Whether you apply with an EAD or and H-1 approval notice, it is still going to say “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION.”

As such, as someone said before, for SSN purposes looks like they just need a proof of authorization to work.

As per SSA office, it appears it is better if you take SSN based on EAD.

Check this site:
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10002.html

Especially the following question.

Are there different types of cards?

We issue three types of Social Security cards. All cards show your name and Social Security number.

* The first type of card shows your name and Social Security number and lets you work without restriction. We issue it to:
o U.S. citizens; and
o People lawfully admitted to the United States on a permanent basis.
* The second type of card shows your name and number and notes, “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION.” We issue this type of card to people lawfully admitted to the United States on a temporary basis who have DHS authorization to work.
* The third type of card shows your name and number and notes, “NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT.” We issue it to people from other countries:
* Who are lawfully admitted to the United States without work authorization from DHS, but with a valid nonwork reason for needing a Social Security number; or
* Who need a number because of a federal law requiring a Social Security number to get a benefit or service.