Reentry Permit

dumas9

Registered Users (C)
Where can I get more information on re-entry permits and application info.
I will be in the US every 4-5 months for 3-4 weeks - do I absolutely need a re-entry permit.
Does applying for a re-entry permit affect my eligibility for application for citizenship

Thx,....

Last edited by a moderator:
How long do you plan to do that ?
Reentry permit is for stays < 2years.
Besides, you're supposed to be a LPR, and maintain that status ( taxes, ties to the US...)

Before 9/11, some LPR got away with what you plan ( being away for a couple of months, and then a couple of weeks in the US).

No, I would say on the contrary : it would be better for you to have a reentry permit to show that it was a temporary situation.

There are a lot of posts on reentry permits here. So take a moment to read them, it should be clearer after.

Re-entry permit

hi there catseyes,
my 5 years term is up next year around August. So probably do this for a year to 1.5 years.

I've been hunting around for posts on Re-entry permits but have found very few (only a couple)...can you point me to some good ones

Thx.....

For 1.5 years, it is suggested you apply for Reentry permit. Because you are subject to " abandon of LPR status".

The thing is that if your stay is > 1year, then you break the continuous residency requirement. ( <6m = ok, 6m< stay< 1year = gray area ). That's why you wanted to come once in a while. But it is risky too if it gets noticed.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/guide.htm
The guide to naturalization gives a more detailed answer.

Now, let me ask you a question : ( and I do not mean to offend you )
Where to you want to live ? Do you want to come back to the US to live there ? Or do you just want the USC ?

Re-entry permit

hi there catseyes.....
Absolutely....live here. However, presently due to personal reasons and for the next 2 odd years I have to spend a major part of my time back home. I am in a situation where I'm fairly close to applying for the naturalization and then again I have to move home. Which is why I am contemplating the trips back and forth every few months to maintain the LPR. Also since my income would still be in the US and also since I would be paying taxes, have a house.....etc....etc....

dumas9 said:
Where can I get more information on re-entry permits and application info.
I will be in the US every 4-5 months for 3-4 weeks - do I absolutely need a re-entry permit.
Does applying for a re-entry permit affect my eligibility for application for citizenship

Thx,....

Hello Dumas9,

Here's one way to estimate

http://www.immigration.com/processing-times/nearchives.html
So I would estimate, as things are going now, that it would take around 2-4 months for the whole thing.

To give you an idea... I sent a form I-131 to apply for a reentry permit(with check for the $170 fee) last DECEMBER 2005, I then recieved a reciept notice JANUARY 2006. One month later I recieved my Reentry Permit.

Best of Luck!