Reentry permit necessary ? Covid-19

Gaelle

Hello,

I am a French Green Card winner and went to the US to activate it on September 15th 2019.
Currently, I have until September 2020 to move to the US if I don't want to lose it.
Yet, regarding the exceptional circumstances we are currently facing and still based in France before doing my big move which was planned in September, I am aware I will not be able to do it. Therefore, I was considering the option of filling a I-131 File known as the Reentry permit as soon as earlier. Yet, while doing some research I have seen that it is mandatory to be in US to file it and to do the fingerprints in the USA.
I went on website of London's US embassy and saw that they generally do not run fingerprints.
Under this exceptional circumstance, I am concerned I may lose my green card. Would it be possible to apply for a reentry permit from the UK since France does not seem to have a UCIS office ?
Is there any exception to this 1 year rule under this exceptional situation ?

Hello,

I am a French Green Card winner and went to the US to activate it on September 15th 2019.
Currently, I have until September 2020 to move to the US if I don't want to lose it.
Yet, regarding the exceptional circumstances we are currently facing and still based in France before doing my big move which was planned in September, I am aware I will not be able to do it. Therefore, I was considering the option of filling a I-131 File known as the Reentry permit as soon as earlier. Yet, while doing some research I have seen that it is mandatory to be in US to file it and to do the fingerprints in the USA.
I went on website of London's US embassy and saw that they generally do not run fingerprints.
Under this exceptional circumstance, I am concerned I may lose my green card. Would it be possible to apply for a reentry permit from the UK since France does not seem to have a UCIS office ?
Is there any exception to this 1 year rule under this exceptional situation ?

Hi @Gaelle ,

I am in the same situation as you (I'm Belgian). Unfortuantely you have to be in the US to request the permit and do the fingerprints.

The best is that you take some time off and go to the US before September and request the rentry permit, then you have 2 years to decide when you want to move to the US. You are excempt from the ban as you are an LPR already.

Read my post here with a similar question: https://forums.immigration.com/thre...-to-the-us-during-coronvirus-pandemic.342760/

Good luck! :)
Kassem