Reentering the US with Certificate of Naturalization

Oxido

I've read that the Certificate of Naturalization (or a notarized copy) can be used to reenter to the US along with a photo identification issued by a government agency (state ID card or driver's license) but only if you are coming from the Western Hemisphere, (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central and South America). In my case i would be coming from South America.

My problem is that I'll be going out of the country 2 days after i take the oath (had it planned before getting my oath dates) and since they will take my green card away I would not be able to show it when reentering the country. I have to use the US Passport to enter for now on. But to get my US passport I have to wait for like 6-8 weeks and unfortunately I cant wait that long...I have only vacations for 3 weeks once a year and they start two days after the oath. My plans are (maybe were now :() to leave for 3 weeks two days after oath ceremony but i had forgotten that they take away my green card...meaning i cant use it to enter anymore. Even if i pay an extra 60 dollars for those in a hurry (called "Expedited Service") the US passport will take 2 weeks which still too long for me.

So i was thinking in leaving with just my Certificate of Naturalization and a notarized copy of it and of course my IDs from the FL State....and use them as a legal proof of US citizenship when reentering at Miami Airport.

Can anyone confirm this? is it possible to reenter the US with Certificate of Naturalization (or a notarized copy)? Any advise?

Thank you for the time anyone takes to answer my question. It is greatly appreciated.

Oxido said:
I've read that the Certificate of Naturalization (or a notarized copy) can be used to reenter to the US along with a photo identification issued by a government agency (state ID card or driver's license) but only if you are coming from the Western Hemisphere, (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central and South America). In my case i would be coming from South America.

My problem is that I'll be going out of the country 2 days after i take the oath (had it planned before getting my oath dates) and since they will take my green card away I would not be able to show it when reentering the country. I have to use the US Passport to enter for now on. But to get my US passport I have to wait for like 6-8 weeks and unfortunately I cant wait that long...I have only vacations for 3 weeks once a year and they start two days after the oath. My plans are (maybe were now :() to leave for 3 weeks two days after oath ceremony but i had forgotten that they take away my green card...meaning i cant use it to enter anymore. Even if i pay an extra 60 dollars for those in a hurry (called "Expedited Service") the US passport will take 2 weeks which still too long for me.

So i was thinking in leaving with just my Certificate of Naturalization and a notarized copy of it and of course my IDs from the FL State....and use them as a legal proof of US citizenship when reentering at Miami Airport.

Can anyone confirm this? is it possible to reenter the US with Certificate of Naturalization (or a notarized copy)? Any advise?

Thank you for the time anyone takes to answer my question. It is greatly appreciated.
It is possible to get a US passport the same day, if you call up over the phone and schedule an appointment with the passport agency closest to you. You need a travel itenary/ticket as proof of immediate travel. My daughter got her passport the day after the oath ceremony. Make sure you phone in at least 1-2 weeks in advance.

like he said you can do that get a express passport or you can take a infopass and talk to the io of getting a temporary travel document....

Oxido said:

If you use the expedited sevice, you may get the passport in 6-7 days.

A Guide to Entry and Exit Regulations

Getting Into Mexico

The Government of Mexico requires that all U.S. citizens present proof of citizenship and photo identification for entry into Mexico. While U.S. citizenship documents such as a certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate, a Naturalization Certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Citizenship are acceptable, the U.S. Embassy recommends traveling with a valid U.S. passport to avoid delays or misunderstandings. U.S. citizens have encountered difficulty boarding onward flights in Mexico without a passport. U.S. citizens boarding flights to Mexico should be prepared to present one of these documents as proof of U.S. citizenship, along with photo identification. Driver's permits, voter registration cards, affidavits and similar documents are not sufficient to prove citizenship for readmission into the United States.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/regional/regional_1174.html

read this carefully...
Returning to the United States – Caution!

Make certain that you can return to the United States with the proof of citizenship that you take with you. Although some countries may allow you to enter with only a birth certificate, U.S. law requires that you document both your U.S. citizenship and identity when you re-enter the United States.

The best document to prove your U.S. citizenship is a valid U.S. passport. Other documents that establish U.S. citizenship include an expired U.S. passport, a certified copy of your birth certificate, a Certificate of Naturalization, a Certificate of Citizenship, or a Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. citizen. To prove your identity, either a valid driver's license or a government identification card with a photo is acceptable.

The following frequently-cited documents are NOT sufficient proof to enter the United States: US driver's license alone, Social Security Card, US military ID, a non-certified photocopy of a US birth certificate, a notarized Affidavit of Citizenship signed at the airport in the U.S., or even a voter's registration card. Travelers with only these documents may not be able to enter the U.S.

Without proof of both identity and citizenship, the traveler will not be allowed to board an airplane to the U.S. The airline faces a fine of $3,300 if a passenger that the airline boarded is not admitted to the U.S., and in addition the airline must bear the cost of flying the passenger back to the point of departure. Because of these penalties, most airlines will not board anyone – including probable U.S. citizens – without proof of citizenship and identity.

Oxido said:

Another suggestion is to apply for your passport through your congressman/senator's offices, if they are close to you. They usually expedite the process and gets the passport in 2-5 days. Don't know how much it will cost you.

Did you read his orginal post. He said South America. I dont think Mexico is in South America.

He might need a passport to travel.

http://www.southernexplorations.com/article-safety-in-south-america.htm

my fault,
for some reason i thought he was talking about mexico..i apologize
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Of course, the most important thing to remember to bring on your South American tour is your passport. U.S. citizens must have a valid passport to travel to all Central and South American countries, with the exception of Panama and short stays in French Guiana. Visa requirements for U.S. citizens differ by country. Some countries do not require a visa for a short tourist trip, while others require you to obtain a visa in advance from that country's embassy or consulate. Others simply require you to obtain a tourist card from the airline office or at the destination airport. Some countries may have additional entry requirements, such as proof of sufficient funds and/or onward or return tickets. It's a lot to figure out, but if you do not meet the entry requirements upon arrival in a country, you will not be admitted and will have to leave on the next plane, so make sure to figure out the requirements of your South American travel destination before you go!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
http://www.savacations.com/faq.cfm#q5

What are the passport/visa requirements for American citizens traveling to South America?

For travel to Argentina, a valid passport, return ticket, and sufficient funds (U.S. $50/day) for stays up to three months; Bolivia, a valid passport for stays up to three months; Brazil, a visa is required; Chile, a valid passport and payment of a U.S. $100 processing fee; Ecuador, a passport valid for at least 90 days for stays up to 90 days; Peru, a valid passport for stays up to three months. Citizens of other countries should check with the local embassy of their destination country (or countries).

Last edited by a moderator:
NC2006 said:
Another suggestion is to apply for your passport through your congressman/senator's offices, if they are close to you. They usually expedite the process and gets the passport in 2-5 days. Don't know how much it will cost you.

the OP is going to leave 2 days after the oath. I wonder this "2-5" days would even fit into the picture for him.

Thank you for all the replies guys :)

genesis1 said:
It is possible to get a US passport the same day, if you call up over the phone and schedule an appointment with the passport agency closest to you. You need a travel itenary/ticket as proof of immediate travel. My daughter got her passport the day after the oath ceremony. Make sure you phone in at least 1-2 weeks in advance.
Yeah I've been calling and asking and thats what im going to do...to call 14 days before.
Was your daughter in the same situation?. The second option i have is to apply for my
US passport at the United States Embassy in the country i am going (Colombia).
According to the info i have it is also possible. I will let you know guys how it goes. Thank you all.

Were you able to apply abroad, in the US consulate in Colombia?
I have a similar situation where I had to come to Canada for work two days after my Oath ceremony and I want to know if I can apply in the US consulate here in Canada. I will be satying for 5 months at least.. so I didn't want to delay the getting of a passport.

Oxido said:
Thank you for all the replies guys :)

Yeah I've been calling and asking and thats what im going to do...to call 14 days before.
Was your daughter in the same situation?. The second option i have is to apply for my
US passport at the United States Embassy in the country i am going (Colombia).
According to the info i have it is also possible. I will let you know guys how it goes. Thank you all.

If you live in one of the cities with a State Department regional passport agency (not a post office, etc), then you should be able to walk in with your naturalization certificate and your tickets and get a passport that day or the next day.

You need to make an appointment.

Check out: http://travel.state.gov/passport/about/agencies/agencies_913.html
Note that there's only a dozen or so of these locations in the country.

Now, getting a visa after getting the passport is another hassle, one that I know nothing about.

Good luck