Received passports super fast, but not natz certificate back yet

sudipto

Registered Users (C)
We had our oath ceremony on July 31,08 and applied for US passport book and passport cards the same day. As required by the process, we had to send our original naturalization certificates along with the application.

We got back our passport books super fast ... on August 9th (even though we had chosen regular processing, not expedited). However, so far we have not received our original naturalization certificates.

Fortunately we kept copies of the certificates before we sent the original ones.

I have already called the passport dept and they said that the verification of documents and processing of passports happen at separate agencies - hence the passport books and proof of citizenship (i.e. the natz certs) are sent back by separate mails. However, since it has been well over two weeks, she sent a message to the agency to look into this.

Does anyone else here have any experience like this ? How quickly do people here get back their natz certificates ?

Anything else I should pursue ? If our natz certificates were really sent and got lost in mail, is there a chance it can be misused (for identity theft or immigration fraud) ? If so, is it recommended that I file a case with the police or somehow report the case to USCIS to cancel our original natz certificates and issue new ones ?

Any info will be much appreciated !!

To avoid such worry, I went directly from the court where I took the oath to the regional passport agency next door and waited about an hour to get my passport (with my Natz certificate). I paid $60 extra but figured it is well worth it since I can get my Natz cert, passport on the same day.

Too bad I didn't know of that option or I'd have done the same :( I was under the impression that the natz certificate needs to be sent to them no matter what the mode of application is.

Oh well ! Lets hope the verification agency simply forgot to send back the certificate and will be able to send it back once they get the reminder this time.

Stop worrying

stupido,

Please stop worrying just for nothing and if everything in this life was in your control, then this world would be an ideal place to live. Had I done this & I had I done that, too bad we don't have that choice. God is control of that and let's think positive that whatever happens, happens for our best interest and for resaons.

Now having said that, 90% of the applicants don't get their natz certificate that very same day with the passport. Ask Huracan and he will tell you. Give it another week or 10 days and you will get your natz certificate back in the same condition and once you get that back, you can frame it.....lol....just kidding.

Have a good weekend & stop thinking about your natz certificate. I promise you that you will have it sometime next week.

Atlanta_Brother: Thanks for the encouragement ... I sure hope you are right :) You have a great weekend too !

Sudipto,
I am also in pretty much the same situation.. I had applied for my passport on the 29th of July and got my passport back on the 7th of Aug. But havent yet got my naturalization certificate back.. I had called the passport agency and they said that it will take 2 to 4 more weeks for the certificate to be mailed.. I will let you know when i receive mine..

Sudo - thanks very much for your reply ! It is somewhat reassuring to see I am not the only one.

Did you apply for both the passport book and the passport card ? Or just the book ?

We applied for both, and so far have got only the book; so I was wondering if the agency needs to keep the proof of citizenship until processing of both the book and the card is completed. However, when I spoke to them, the customer service rep told me that the verification of our citizenship has already completed and the processing of both the book and the card has already been approved -- so they *should* have sent the proof of citizenship back.

Good luck to you and I will also let you know when we get the natz certificates back.

Hi Sudipto..
No i just applied for the passport book.. I guess now we both wait..

An update on this issue for benefit of anyone else that might be in the same situation.

I had called the passport dept asking about our natz certificates, who had forwarded that question to the agency that does the verification of documents.

We got a letter back from the verification agency confirming that they STILL DO have our natz certificates with them. The letter said that the original proof of citizenship is mailed back within two weeks after all passports have been mailed out.

So I am guessing they are holding on to the original natz certificates until the passport cards are mailed out.

So we are relieved ... for now at least !

Hey Sudipto,
That is interesting cause i had applied for my passport only (not the passport card) and i got my passport a long time back.. But have not got the naturalization certificate yet.. Guess will have to wait a little longer and see..
-Sudo

sudo - did you already call the passport dept (1-877-487-2778 ... listen to the whole menu, then press 0 at the end) and ask about the natz certificate ? Initially they had told me that my natz certificate has already been mailed back to me; but last time when I spoke to them, the customer service rep sent a note to the verification agency to confirm this, based on which the agency notified me by mail that the natz certificate in fact has NOT yet been returned and is still in their possesion.

You should get the info directly from the verification agency since the passport dept clearly did not have the correct information.

Glad I found this thread

Hi Guys,

I'm in the same boat. I applied regular for passport only on 8/8/08 and got the passport on 8/22/08. Called the agency on 8/29/08 and they made an inquiry. Will keep you posted as to when I receive my NC. Will anyone know if I could change my address now or ask them to mail it to an address in Canada?

One more update for those following this issue. This saturday (9/6) we got our passport cards as well, but still no signs of the natz certificates.

Hopefully will get the NC within the next week or two ... if not, will need to call passport dept again.

What luck ! Got back our natz certificates today itself. Good luck to anyone else waiting to get back your certificates !!

Got my NC

Hi Guys,

Just to let you know, I got my NC mid last week. I have a question though. If I choose to apply for the passport card, do I need to send in my NC again? Also How much will it cost me? Tks in advance for your replies.

Congratulations! :) Although it was expected. I don't think I have ever seen a confirmed lost certificate when applying for a passport.

For the passport card you don't need to send your naturalization certificate. Just fill out a passport renewal by mail form DS-82 (no need to go with a passport acceptance agent, you just put everything in an envelope and mail it) include your passport and two pictures and your twenty dollar check or money order. It's probably better to send it certified.

Check this page: http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/renew/renew_833.html

I finally got my Nat Cert today.. It took a whole month after i got my passport.. In any case alls well that ends well..

That's right, that's what I also like to say, all is well that ends well :) I have seen many people worry about missing certificates, but so far all of them have shown up.