Reasons for 485 Transfer to Local Office

Yesterday I also received an email about my case transfer to the local office for the final interview. Hoping to get an interview scheduled in the next week or so. Hope for the best, it looks like INS is concurrently working on reducing backlogs of Y02 & Y03.

FYI... One of my friend's case was also got transferred to the local office, few weeks later he got an interview, and they approved his case.

485 ND: May03

Are there any well-known "reasons" for 485 case to be transferred to Local office?

There are no specific reasons for transfers. However, based upon posts on various Internet forums, the following is observed so far as likely factors to trigger a transfer/interview (though applicability of any of the following doesn't necessarily guarantee a transfer):

1. Random "quality check" (meaning no specific reasons for transfer)

2. Married after filing I-485 (mostly to verify bona fide marriage)

3. Change of employer, residence, jurisdiction (mostly to verify AC21 related issues)

4. Positive for HIV, TB, during medical testing (mostly to verify continuing treatment)

5. National Interest Waiver based I-140 (mostly to verify if the applicant still works in the same area of national interest as argued in the pre-approved immigration petition)

6. Few EB-1 EA/OR based I-140 (mostly to check "public charge" information, meaning to verify financial self-reliability and if the employment is of EA or OR nature)

7. Not-readablity of two consecutive fingerprinting (mostly to collect police clearances)

8. "Hit" on fingerprinting (meaning if criminal record exists)

9. Applicants from countires that required special registration sometime ago

10. Non-conclusive or incomplete response to the RFE if any

The order in above list is just random and doesn't signify any hierarchy, and by no means is claimed to be complete.

Best wishes,

Jigesh

Disclaimer: Personal non-legal point of view only.

Also, add this "11) if your case is 245(i) case or 245(k) case. Please note: sometimes they approve 245(k) case without transferring to the local office and sometimes they transfer 245(k) for the interview, but if your case is 245(i) case, they will definitely transfer your 245(i) case for the interview."

i igree with you 245(I) cases always get transferred to local office for interview......... :)

Thanks Jignesh for providing a detailed set of reasons for case transfers.
I believe Perico and USGC485 said it right about 245(i)(k) cases. Btw my 485 was applied under 245(i) category.

Do you guys have any information on what documents one needs to take it for the interview?

See the link I posted for all the details why INS transfers the cases

See the link I posted for all the details why INS transfers the cases

skp0123210 said:
Thanks Jignesh for providing a detailed set of reasons for case transfers.
I believe Perico and USGC485 said it right about 245(i)(k) cases. Btw my 485 was applied under 245(i) category.

Do you guys have any information on what documents one needs to take it for the interview?

the same documents as everyone else who gets interview( paystubs, w2, last 3 yrs taxes, employment letter, stating title, duties and hourly pay) and because its 245(I) you should also take some evidence that you were here on dec 21st 2000, the day on which they opened 245(I) window to adjust with the $1,000 penalty( some utility bill from that month, banks statement etc( if married also good idea to take pictures and marriage certificate( the registred certified copy of your marriage certificate) :)

any ideas on how long interview letter will take, my case 245(I) was transferred from vcs on aug 5/2004 to washington dc office?