Really confused : Travel during J1 Waiver Process without passport?

sushant92ksjo

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

Currently I am on a F1 status and my J1 visa expired a long time back, but I am still bound to the 2 yeah home requirement rule. So for this reason I am applying for waiver, starting this month ( March 2008).

Now my question is this :

During the first step of waiver application, you need to send 4 notarized copies of your bio-data form and affidavit along with your passport to the consulate for attestation. I believe this generally takes 3 weeks.

And during my final step of waiver application, I would again need to send the 4 NORI's along with my passport to the consulate for final approval. I believe this takes 4-6 weeks.

Now, if I send my passport along with all my documents in my final step, and If I wish to travel to india for a 2 week vacation during that time, how is that possible without my passport being in my hand ?

Isn't sending your passport through courier or whatever risky? I was thinking that a photo copy of passport will be enough to send as a document.

Please help.. as I am really confused.

Thanks

Last Step of Waiver Application

Last Step (STAGE III) :
On receipt of clearance from all three offices, send an attested set of form and affidavit with clearances received, indicating clearly the CASE NUMBER, along with a fees of US $20.00 and self addressed stamped envelop for return mail for further processing. The Consulate General shall issue the waiver certificate and forward it to the Embassy of India in Washington DC for onward transmission to the US Immigration Authority who will notify the applicant directly regarding its acceptance.

Only First Step requires Passport submission.
Last stage doesn't require passport submission.