Re-post:Q about EAD AND SSN#

SimFox3

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys, I'm a student who has been desperately wanting to drive here in California.

On September 17, 02 our lawyers sent Los Angeles Center our I-485 and EAD paperwork. All of my family's FP were taken last month. There was a screw up for my FP but I took them a 2 weeks ago also. First question: Because my FP are two week behind, will this affect my EAD approval time. In other words is the EAD have any relationship with fingerprints?

Second Question: Is there an interview for EAD approval?

My biggest question is, what is the fastest way for me to obtain a Driver License.. I just turned 18 (happy birthday me ) ... Anyway I'd like to give myself a birthday present.. a driver license would do just fine. I read something about court overturning the decision not to issue SSN because of request of driver license. It states that you have to be legal, but we are not technically "legal" yet are we?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

i don't think FP will affect EAD process. they are 2 different processes.

this is one way to get ssn - get ead and then go to local ins and apply for ssn. once you've ssn, apply for driver license.

check this link posted by admin.

http://www.immigration.com/litigation/ssa/ourcomments.html

-- Caltiger

If you just want a driver license in California, you need neither EAD nor SS#.

At first, you can go to the DMV office to apply your DL.
Then, go to the SSA office with a DMV receipt, and apply SSA-3288.
SSA will send SSA-3288, that shows you don't have your SS#, directly to DMV.

Good Luck.

Originally posted by kashmir
If you just want a driver license in California, you need neither EAD nor SS#.

At first, you can go to the DMV office to apply your DL.
Then, go to the SSA office with a DMV receipt, and apply SSA-3288.
SSA will send SSA-3288, that shows you don't have your SS#, directly to DMV.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the info, but as anyone tried this? I searched online and found only 2 webpages that say this is possible. If someone has tried this could you please tell me if it worked or why it did not work. Thanks .

Just go to DMV

A lot of people without permision to work(B, F, H4 statuses) but otherwise in legal nonimmigrant status receive DL in California.

Go to DMV, pass written test and receive "permit".

For this you need only to show that you are in USA leggally.
There is a list of documents on DMV web site that are acceptable for this. If you have I94 insist DMV officer make copy of both sides.
DMV officer explain to you what to do next.

Some history.
-At first SSN issued SSN# to nonimmigrants for DL purposes
-Later they stop do this, so people applied for tax identification number (ITIN) and used it instead SSN#. ITIN# looks like SSN# but first digit is 9.
-Now looks like they will restore previous practice, but who knows how long will it take

Didn't work

I tried going to the DAVIS DMV and doing getting DL (with no EAD or SSN), but no luck. They said I needed to prove that i was here legally. And since my i-94 was expired a long time ago, I have to wait for my EAD to become approved..

Can't obtain ITIN

It doesn't matter if I have an ITIN or not :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The DMV officer was very friendly, and he tried everything to get me a driver license. But at the end what happened was that he told me that I didn't need a SSN, however I needed a EAD or a valid i-94. My lawyer told me about 20-40 more days even though I applied 9/17/02.

Oh well.. I have waited 18 years (6750 days) for a driver license, and I don't think another 30 would kill me.