RE: ISSUANCE of SOCIAL SECURITY CARD in NEW YORK...heeelpp!!!

vioxx

Registered Users (C)
Good Day! My question is about issuing a social security card/number. I am under category c9 sponsored by my husband who is US citizen.After I got my newly issued EAD, I applied personally for my SSN here in New York where I live last October 30,2002. After applying they gave me a letter saying they will have to verify my alien status to the INS. It will took them 12-16 weeks to verify. I asked my friends and colleagues if this was the real processing time for them to issue SSN.They told me that's too long to wait and suggested to call my local SSA. I called my local SSA (Jamaica,New York) and a SSA officer told me that it'll took them 10 days to process the SSN from the day I applied until the day I received it through mail.I told them I haven't received it yet. So they ask me to come to their office and present the documents again to them. They also told me that my file was already in their system but they are waiting for the INS to respond if my doucuments were true. I am so depressed because I really wanted to work but i don't have a SSN to present to my potential employer. The documents that I presented to my local SSA was my newly issued EAD and passport which were valid and true.I don't know which is which took so long to process.INS or SSA? Are there any new rule in INS or SSA regarding the issuance of a new SSN to a non-US citizen?Can anyone advice me whether to re-apply again? I really need your help.PLEASEE!!!

Sincerely,
vioxx

Vioxx,

This is a standard procedure INS / SSA follows after the 9/11 incident.
SSA has your file in the system. What you can do is ask them to give your SSN you can do that over the phone. So you can give the number to your employer and start working. They should generally process your papers (verification in 60 days)

you don't need to reapply. All you have to do is wait.
yeah its a long painful process.

Hope that helps.