Re-entry permit

bpp2

Hi,

I got my GC over 2 years ago.
I am planning to go to India and stay for 1 to 2 years. I am going to spend time with my parents, and probably take up a job there during this period.

I know that I need to apply for a Re-entry permit to stay outside US for up to 2 years. On the application for Re-entry permit, can I mention the purpose of visit as "To spend time with parents"?
Is this a good enough reason for CBIS to grant me a Re-entry permit? Or should I put it in any other way for family related travels?

Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
BP

I am in the same boat.. Pls/. provide inputs

I received my GC 6mont ago. I also planning to go back to India for few years. Will I be eligible to apply for reentry permit.

In case I am eligioble then what is the procedure. pls/. provide all valuable inputs.

Thankyou! very much

I think you would be eligible.

To apply for re-entry permit, you have to file form I-131. You can find the stuff to be enclosed with it in the form instructions.

The re-entry permit is required if you want to stay outside US for more than a year.

As I read from other postings here and elsewhere, you should also maintain your links to US like maintaining an address, valid driver's license, credit cards, bank accounts etc in US.

Can we do it immediately after getting green card? Like after 2/3 months, can I get re-entry permit and stay in india for an year or two?

Re-entry

Hi cpzinga,

I applied for re-entry permit after my GC stamping my passport after a week.

Yes you will get it. Consult your lawyer. You should have valuable reason for your stay in India and it should be on temporary basis.
Hope you can apply for that.....

Hi RAM_INS,

Thanks.

Basically, I don't have any major reason. But I would like to take care of my parents who are in India. Do you think its a valid reason?

cpzinga:

I would be very cautious with filing I-131 within 1 year of getting GC. I strongly urge you to consult an attorney!

I was also thinking the way you are but i was advised to postpone those thoughts for a year at least unless it is an urgent case!

KD. Thanks again. Somehow I didn't check this thread since a week.

So, do you think it is difficult to get re-entry permit if we have to go to india within one yr. of GC approval? Also what is I-131?

cpzinga:

I-131 is the application form for re-entry permit that should be filled out and received by uscis prior to departing usa for more than 1 and less than 2 years.

I-131 form:
http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/files/i-131.pdf

Application of I-131 is simple but you need to keep in mind that when you return to usa prior to 2 years the consular officer @ POE has the reject entry into usa even though you have submitted I-131 and haev valid physical GC. To avoid such a situation you will need to prove that you would still want to remain permanent resident which means show property/ investments/ credit card payment or such other proof of maintaining LPR status.

Read this article as it explains the situation better than I do:
http://murthy.com/pr_thngs.html

We may get our GC's with in 4 months. We are planning to send our kids to India for their shool purpose after getting their GC's. How can I maintain their GC's without any problem? Me and my wife are going to be here for next 5 years, how can we maintain our kids GC's even though they are in India. Before they go to India they have to apply I 131? please share your Ideas.....

winwin:

Read this article under Travel heading:
http://murthy.com/pr_thngs.html

Your children need to file I-131 prior to usa departure. And should return within 2 years of filing it. And at the time of re-entry have a way to prove that they need to maintain perm. status. Details are explained in the article above.

But a word of advice it is not recommended to leave usa especially for such a long time immediately after getting GC. Even after filing I-131 and returning prior to expiry of 2 years the immigraiton officer @ POE has the right to terminate the PR status and cancel GC.!!!

Before making hasty decisions consult an attorney!