quota h1 to non-quota h1

jdiddy

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I have h1 starting from Oct 1 2004 which is counted in this years quota. There is a possibility that I may be offered a position from a university which is ready to do my H1 - but that will be non-quota H1. Does anybody know how this can be done without any problems ? Does my current employer need to know that I will be applying for the new visa? I am assuming the current H1 visa (in quota) will be automatically cancelled once I 'm issued a non-quota H1, am I right?

Thanks.

jdiddy said:
Hi,

I have h1 starting from Oct 1 2004 which is counted in this years quota. There is a possibility that I may be offered a position from a university which is ready to do my H1 - but that will be non-quota H1. Does anybody know how this can be done without any problems ?

Does my current employer need to know that I will be applying for the new visa?
-----------No you don't have to tell him.

I am assuming the current H1 visa (in quota) will be automatically cancelled once I 'm issued a non-quota H1, am I right?
---------No. you can have multiple H1's as long as you satisfy the underlying LCA's. ( You can only work 40 hrs/week from both H1's)....

Thanks.

HTH

Thanks for the reply.

So I would not have to inform my current employer about the new H1. I think I have to inform the university guys about my current H1 before they file for the new one right? Do I have to provide them with any proof of my current H1? Also the H1 from the current employer which starts on Oct 1 - how can I cancel it? Does submitting a resignation to the employer take care of it ?

Please let me know. Thanks.