quicker Change of Job after GC

kellyS

I have genuine intentions of working for my sponsoring employer for "indefinite" time. For the last 6 years , I am working for the same employer who processedmy GC.
Recently this compny had layoff. and nearby office where I used to report closed down.
Result, I have to travel 80 miles a day (to and fro) to attend to my office.
My contribution to company is substantial, but I am getting tired doing this.
I tried working from home, but it is not as productive.
I tried staying in the hotel, but my family commitments are suffering heavily.
What options do I have?

I have received offers from nearby employers.

I don\'t know what will be repurcussions of me changing job 1 month after my GC si done, although several of my frineds have done this, I am not sure.
Any pointers will be highly appreciated.

Thanks JoeF, I am not sure how can INS really asses when things are subjective

In bay area some people commute 100 miles to and fro but can everyone adjust to this type of commute ? Particularly a married woman? --> No way

In bay area people put all their money in tech stocks, is it right - No.

I don\'t find it particularly wise to travel 80 miles to and fro to reach my office.
When it was 14 miles , it was OK, when it increased to 34 miles, I somehow managed it.
But not 80 miles. Not for me at least.

This Green Card business has taken 4 years. I worked for the same employer even though the stregth reduced from 400 to 80 people,
 now when I want some stability in my life , how can INS decide where I should work.

My company told me they will reach 4000 head count within next few years, instead they have become 80.
Will INs give me a job if they closed down?

This whole business makes me nervous, may be I should go back.

Check the chat archives on murthy.com

She seemed to suggest that as long as you are working in the same field it might be ok, I have seen atleast three responses from her indicating that..

Agree but ...

Joef, Agree to what u are saying...
The situation is particularly worth examining for consultancy jobs. U know that consultancy jobs provide very high level of uncertainity and is it not normal for a person to have change of heart after getting the greencard to seek permanent employment. This may be just for stability or for things like buying a house etc...When in H1b visa, one can hardly plan for longer term. But once we get green card, we think about other aspects of life and take a decision to switch jobs. Will that constitute fraud !!! Experts comments on this siuation
would definately help...

Not an expert comment but

you knew about uncertainity when you were on H1 and applied for a green card . You could have found a full time position and then applied for the green card . I am in the same boat . I want to get a permanent position . I am going to start applying and if i find a job i will call up my employer and tell him i am quitting . I think there are lot of better things in life than to worry about INS , GC ...

Saab are u saying that it is ok to get to permanent job and it is low risk... It is not clear from u

What i am saying is if you

think there is stability in full time position then better start looking for one . With the weak job market , i am thinking of a fulltime job right now as this contract job might end in a couple of months . I got my gc last month and have started trying for jobs . Again it is just what i am doing . i am not commenting on risk factor here . To me i need to have a job first .