Quick Question: Old Passports needed??

paul sid

Registered Users (C)
I am going to begin applying for N400.

Have recently renewed my passport. In the UK you have to send the old passport into the Home Office (UK Passport Authority) and then you get the old and a new one sent back to you.

I have *destroyed* the old passport and have no record of it with its previous stamps in it. Am wondering if this presents an issue for N400 interview??

Does anyone have any experience of this? How are the dates of your journey verified without the passport???

Welcome your kind responses.

It really depends on your IO. Stamps are not always complete, so at best they are only supporting information relative to your claimed travel dates.

I don't think I was asked for my old passport, but I know I did have it available just in case it was request.

Definitely!

Have recently renewed my passport. In the UK you have to send the old passport into the Home Office (UK Passport Authority) and then you get the old and a new one sent back to you.

I have *destroyed* the old passport and have no record of it with its previous stamps in it. Am wondering if this presents an issue for N400 interview??

Does anyone have any experience of this? How are the dates of your journey verified without the passport???

Welcome your kind responses.

During my interview, the IO checked my old passport and also made a copy of it. She also checked EACH arrival/dep date for matching stamps on my old passport. More here: http://immigrationportal.com/showpost.php?p=1633250&postcount=7

Why??

He may not ask for it but why would you destroy an expired passport, beats me!!! I am not sure what your justification is going to be if he does ask for it, you may want to talk to an attorney about how to handle it.

IO did check my old passport and tallied the Exit/Arrival stamps to what I had mentioned on form N-400.

Good Luck

IO did check my old passport and tallied the Exit/Arrival stamps to what I had mentioned on form N-400.

Good Luck

Thanks for your experiences. Did you have exit stamps for all the flights out? Usually they do not stamp when exiting the country. If you did not have an exit stamp - how did he verify that the dates where correct. Welcome your response? All the best...

Thanks for your experiences. Did you have exit stamps for all the flights out? Usually they do not stamp when exiting the country. If you did not have an exit stamp - how did he verify that the dates where correct. Welcome your response? All the best...

Its not even guaranteed that you'll get stamped on the way in! Probably you will at an airport, but I know I didn't get it 3 times coming in via private vessel (2x telephone checkin and 1x physically present).

To claify

Its not even guaranteed that you'll get stamped on the way in! Probably you will at an airport, but I know I didn't get it 3 times coming in via private vessel (2x telephone checkin and 1x physically present).

Thanks of your reply.

Assume you did not get any stamps by entering 3 times into the country?

What does the 2x telephone checkin mean and 1x physically present?

Does this mean that you did you checkin via the telephone twice? Welcome your clarification.

Thanks Again.

Question

During my interview, the IO checked my old passport and also made a copy of it. She also checked EACH arrival/dep date for matching stamps on my old passport. More here: http://immigrationportal.com/showpost.php?p=1633250&postcount=7

Was you stamped on the way out of the USA? How did she check the dep date on your old passport if you did not have a stamp? Do you know if they checked any other system to clarify your departures?

Welcome your response.

Peter and Paul....

you'll hardly get a stamp on your way out of US at a US airport but most of the destination countries would put a stamp on your passport when you set foot on their land. For example, you left US on march 3rd 2007 from Chicago to Islamabad, Pakistan. No one stamped your passport at O'hare but when you arrive at Islamabad and go through immigration, your passport will be stamped that would have a date you set foot in Pakistan. Same thing will happen when you'll leave Pakistan, they will put an exit stamp on your passport. This happens even if you are carryng a Pakistani passport. Now when you'll mention this trip on your N-400, I/O can look at those stamps and can very easily verify the validity of the dates you mentioned in your application.

I have a question about stamps in passport. I remember the exact dates of all my trips and put them down accurately on the N400. But there are no stamps in my passport for a few of the trips. Some are missing entry stamps into other countries, and some don't have an entry stamp when coming back to the US. Could that be a problem?

Nope

Danagirl,
Do the best you can going by memory. If you have saved any of your itineraries or receipts or ticket, those could also be used as a proof. If you list them all honestly, chances are it will go pretty smooth as long as your time outside is not cutting close to the point where your residency requirements could be questionable.

None of my trips abroad were over two weeks, and the dates on the N400 are completely accurate. I just don't have any tickets etc. for the trips with the missing stamps. It never occurred to me to look for stamps at immigration counters; they just hand you your passport back and tell you to move on.....

Ok

short trips usually shouldn't be a problem. seems like you at least know the exact dates, which is good. List them accurately and should be fine. If asked, you can tell them that they never stamped your passport.