Questions regarding tax transcripts, stamp on passport, etc.

kalikasinha

We are getting ready to send out the application but have somequestions:

1. IRS sent us only 3 years of tax transcripts instead of 5. We don't want to lose 10 days to wait for the other 2 years, so is it ok to send copies of our tax returns from the last 5 years instead of tax transcripts?

2. On one of my husband's business trips, they didn't stamp his passport on the way back. He knows the date of return. Is that OK?

3. What are they looking for when they ask affiliations with organizations - political? Do we need to list professional organizations?

Any help is most appreciated.

1) you need IRS transcripts. Copies of your tax return are not accepted.

2) This is OK.

3) You need to list professional organizations, as well. Not just political.

Originally posted by kalikasinha
We are getting ready to send out the application but have somequestions:

1. IRS sent us only 3 years of tax transcripts instead of 5. We don't want to lose 10 days to wait for the other 2 years, so is it ok to send copies of our tax returns from the last 5 years instead of tax transcripts?

2. On one of my husband's business trips, they didn't stamp his passport on the way back. He knows the date of return. Is that OK?

3. What are they looking for when they ask affiliations with organizations - political? Do we need to list professional organizations?

Any help is most appreciated.

1. To the best of my knowledge, N400 does NOT ask to enclose tax forms or any kind of tax papers. It only asks if you filed taxes correctly or not in yes/no boxes. Just a tick in those will suffice. Only at the interview the officer "MAY" ask the candidate if all tax things are OK or not.

2. Once the new green cards were ready INS stopped stamping the passports. If you can give the dates in N400 application, it is just fine. They do have your dates in their computers anyway.

3. I listed professional organizations such as Indian cultural organization, Instrument society of India etc. Everything you were ever enrolled into. But did *not* mention AAA and the like where you get your membership with a fee for a service.

Good luck!

I have received the same kind of letter about tax forms but it very clearly said that either the copies of tax forms or the transcript. I have checked with my attorney and he said that copies of tax forms will work.

I have to agree fully with wouldbecitizen, The form only askf if you have continuously filed taxes, if your answer is a yes then go ahead, USCIS do not require tax docs as part of the docs needed for N-400, be sure however that they will be checking with IRS to see if you have continuously filed your taxes.
Ojay

ties to US

As a side note, I went to study in India for four years and I provided my parents tax documents (since I was a dependent) with my application to prove that I maintained ties to the USA while I was away...

But I agree with everyone else, unless you have an extenuating circumstance like mine, you should not need to include your tax forms with your application...

Ratrat