Questions regarding my situation, help.

enoch

Registered Users (C)
Hi there,

I like to know if i can receive some advice regarding my current situation. I'm 19 years old this year and I currently reside in the U.S and I have been living here 16 years without a green card, which means I came here when I was 3. In 2001, my dad filed a i-130 under my aunt who is a U.S citizen, but I know that will take forever, since they didnt even get to our file and the visa cap is in like 1995 or something. No one in my family have green cards. We came here on a B-2 visa which expired wayyy long ago.

well, i attend college right now and i have a girlfriend(age 21 this year) who is a us citizen, we've been going for for 1 year+. we want to get married and i like to know what the procedure is. we'd still be living with our parents til i graduate and find a job because i wouldn't be able to support her. i understand this is a problem, correct?

reason i cant wait to graduate and then marry is because sooner or later i would be called into mandatory military services in my own country and and another reason would be to relieve my financial burden because i am not receiving any aid for my college tuition.

i reside in ny, any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Enoch,

You can get married anytime you wish.
If you are filing for green card based on marriage, you can find tons of information on www.uscis.gov.
You will need to file I-485 package. You will need a co-sponsor, since your GF is not working full time. Your GF will be sponsor and file I-864(affadavit of support)and you will need co-sponsor to file affadavit of support with her.

Please read up on the USCIS webpage and there are many details on the forum. Just do some more research.

Good luck.

hi there, who does the co-sponsor have to be?
also would there be problems during the interview since we don't necessarily live together yet as well as our ages? thank you.

enoch said:
hi there, who does the co-sponsor have to be?
also would there be problems during the interview since we don't necessarily live together yet as well as our ages? thank you.

Hi:

The co-sponsor must be a US citizen or US Permanent Resident.

Your age may be questioned, but if you have a true relationship it is not definitive. Document your relationship well. Many couples do not live together before marriage, but I assume you will be living together after the marriage, since you mention living with your parents after the wedding. I do not see a problem there.

Good luck.

so what does this cosponsor have to do? or document?

how shall i document my relationship? we have some pictures here and there, cards, and letters written to each other.. and thats all i can think about for now.

well, i was hoping to legally marrying her soon and after a year or so, have a big wedding in our church. i wont be living with her till our actually wedding because i cant support her till i graduate and find a job.

Yes, you are right...

tough_book23 said:
hey i mean don't u need alot of wedding photo's as evidence for a bonafide marriage?

T,

No... you can shoot about a 1000 pictures for sham marriage. Hence, USCIS puts the burden of proof on you, to prove that this is a genuine relationship. Again, a "relationship", not a wedding celebration. People could get married and put a lavish wedding, just so that they can evade immigration laws, because they have the money and people could be bribed. :eek:

You need to document your "relationship" over a period of time. So, emails, cards, flowers receipts, photos of you two vacationing (anywhere in the world), attending parties, dinner and happy hours together, or with friends, and of course, wedding pictures are important in proving the "relationship". Movie tickets stubs, anything that a young and excited couple would do when they "think" they are in-love, before getting married or after marriage.

So, be careful what you intend to prove to USCIS... ;)