Questions Regarding J-1 Visa

img_ind

Registered Users (C)
HELLO EVERYONE,
I AM WAITING FOR MY IAP-66. I WANT TO KNOW FURTHER PROCEDURE ONCE I RECEIVE IAP-66. DO I HAVE TO GET IT STAMPED? CURRENTLY I AM STAYING IN US. IF I HAVE TO GET IT STAMPED, WHICH COUNTRY I SHOULD GO? Y RESIDENCY IS GOING TO START FROM MID JUNE, FOR ME ITS\' NOT POSSIBLE TO GO TO INDIA.
PLEASE ANSWER MY QUESTIONS.
THANKS

No Title

Hello Everyone,
I have few questions regarding J1 visa. I will receive my IAP-66 form in this week. My program will start in mid june. My question is Do i have to leave this country to get it stamped as i am currently staying in this country. If i have to get it stamped which country i should go? Once I receive IAP-66 does my status changes from my current visa status to J1 or i have to fill up some form.
Please answer my question.
Thanks.

No Title

Hi,
Usually if you are on a visa currently that does not permit you to work (such as F-2 or H-4), you need to change your status before you start your residency or training program. Only when the status is changed to J-1, you will be able to fill I-9 that the institution would require you to fill. You can send it to INS (I think using form I-539) or go out of the country and reenter with a J-1 stamp. Since you have to start the program by the end of this month, you are better off going to Canada or Mexico to have it stamped as it may take more than two months to get the status changed from INS. In a similar situation we went to Canada (Calgary) and got the passport stamped. However, you have to have an appointment to go to the consulate to get your job done. So here is what I\'d do before IAP-66 arrives.
1. Fix an appointment in which ever consulate in Canada or Mexico to process the change.

As soon as the IAP-66 arrives, get all the required papers (such as previous immigration related papers) arrange to go that consulate, have it stamped and reenter the US. This a a proven fast method. Hope that helps.

No Title

phdmd,
When folks change status from H4 to H1, they can start working without getting visa stamp. Are you sure this is how it works?
Usually a stamp is required only for reentering the country.
I would ask a lawyer or the hospital about this.
MJ1

No Title

Hello phdmd & everybody,
I couldn\'t find any appointment slots in Canada for next 2 weeks. So do you know anything about visa stamping in Mexico. Do counsulate charge money (or bank cheque) for visa stamping (Like they do for H1 stamping)? Please let me know.
Thanks.

No Title

MJ1,
That is the key point. They had their status changed from H-4 to H-1 by INS. So they do not need to leave the country which is what I did. In the current situation, the person just has a new IAP-66 (not the J-1 classification) and old status. He could change the status by mailing his I539 (I think) to INS and waiting for about 2-3 months or by going to Canada/Mexico and reentering USA, which is what my wife did and got her status changed and a new stamp within 2 weeks. Hope I clarified my answer.

No Title

Hello SRID,
Do u know anyone, who has used this agency to get a visa. Is he realiable?
Thanks for your help.

No Title

HE ONLY HELPS YOU TO GET TO MEXICO, ARRANGES VISA FOR MEXICO ,ETC
I ISED HIM FOR MY H1

No Title

Hi everybody
I have an F1 and have finished my MPH. I want to start my residency and for that am contemplating going to Ciudad Juarez to get my J1 visa. is there a risk of being refused? and if so- can I still return to the US on my current multiple entry five year F1? Is the fact that MPH internship is incomplete valid grounds to come back? (it is going to be part of my residency if I get the J1)

No Title

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me more about victor garcia and the process at Ciudad Juarez. why is it the only consulate with open appointment slots at the present time? is there any specific reason for that? When you cross over the border did you hold on to your I 94 or did you hand it over?

No Title

Hi Img_ind

I also got my IAP 66 and am trying to determine what I do next? I do not want to go to India for fear of being rejected. what do you know about going to Mexico to get the J1 issued?

No Title

Hello All,

Actually you require visa stamping in passport only for travelling purpose i;e when you want to leave USA and to enter back again.
If you are not travelling outside USA, then change of status is enough to start working as how most of the Hi-tech guys do.
The petition papers are enough to stay in USA and the new I-94 given by the INS at the time of visa status change will override/supercede the earlier one issued by the immigration officers at the port of entry .(During very first visit or second etc)
Even i am also in same situation and i got clarification from my company lawyer about the visa stamping.
Good luck!!!