Questions on N-600 - "derive" citizenship from U.S. citizen parent

Story_questions

Hi - It is my first time posting a question on forums. It seems everyone is so helpful. Hopefully someone can help me! :)

I am trying to apply for US citizenship using form N-400. While i was going through the process, it says I "might" already be a US citizen because my mother is a US citizen and told me to check out the form N-600 instead. However I am not sure since when my mom became a US Citizen, I was not a permanent resident in USA.

So my story is that my mom became a US citizen in 2006, by that time I was only 17. However, I did not immigrant to US with her at the same time since I was in a school. I moved here at age of 20 and received my green card right way.

I read a article talks about the "derive" citizenship from U.S. citizen parent if you were 18 years old or younger on or after February 27, 2001. I was born in 1989, so I am definitely younger on or after Feb 27, 2001.

Now I am just confused to the following:
  • Am I already a US citizen through my US citizen mother?
  • Or am I not qualify through the derive citizenship because I was not a permanent resident at age of 18 or younger and should use form N-400?

Thank you in advance for you input and help.

N400 is the correct form for you. All it was doing was telling you to confirm needing to naturalize because having a USC parent implies you might - as it said, might - have derived citizenship already. From the way you explained it, you did not (you were not a LPR in the physical and legal custody of your USC parent before age 18), and so you do need to naturalize on your own via form N400.

N400 is the correct form for you. All it was doing was telling you to confirm needing to naturalize because having a USC parent implies you might - as it said, might - have derived citizenship already. From the way you explained it, you did not (you were not a LPR in the physical and legal custody of your USC parent before age 18), and so you do need to naturalize on your own via form N400.
Thank you SusieQQQ! appreciate it!