Questions on Landing with EAD & AP

btn

Registered Users (C)
I have the landing papers and have to land in Canada (Ontario Province) by June 4, 2002. I am presently in US on Advance Parole and EAD. I am expecting I485 approval any day (RD Aug 2, 2001). I have the following questions:

1. Will I be able to extend the validity of the immigrant visa beyond June 4, 2002. My wife did not apply for canadian immigration, however she was requried to do the medicals also. If I apply for extension, will both of us be required to do medicals again? Will we have to get FBI clearance and police certificates again?

2. I live in the east coast and has to land in Ontario Province. Based on previous landing experiences, which is the best place to land...thorugh Detroit or Buffalo or Niagra Falls...Can anyone post their recent landing experiences in these places?

3. Proof of funds -- Is it enough to take proof of funds in the form of a letter from my bank or should I take cash or cashiers check when I land?

4. Is it necessary to apply of Social Insurance number when I land. Can I apply for it during my other trips to canada, or can I apply for SIN from US, after I retrun to US. Is Memorial day (May 27, 2002) holiday in Canada?

5. Is it necessary to open a bank account in Canada when I land.

6. Will there be any problems in returning to USA with Advance Parole and EAD after landing? My H1 visa is already expired....Can I return the same day of landing?

I appreciate the responses and any recent landing experiences.......

Thanks

BTN

Hope this helps!

1. You can certainly ask for extension, but why do you need to? If you go for extension you need to go through so much stuff, get clarification from Buffalo.
2. If you need to lan in Quebec, the best option is flying to Montreal or Quebec basedon your preference. But you can also go by driving (Niagara?) but you must mention your destination is Quebec at port of entry.(I believe you need an address at Quebec, Hotel also works)
3. Yes, a letter from US or Canada bank works (Infact you should not carry more than 10K US dollars(cash), otherwise you need to declare at US customs, Imean bank letter is the best choice)
4. You dont need apply for SINt right away but you need that as a resident. Memorial day may be working day in Canada (not sure).
5. Not necessary to open a bank account, but is good to have.
6. I am not an expert to give advice, but I heard lot of people travel with advance parole between US/Canda.
Hope this helps.

No Title

btn,
If I were in your situation, I would have returned my canadian PR papers and claimed a refund of ROLF. After all 180 days after filing 485 you are like a US gc holder and can switch jobs.

There is a slight chance that when you are returning back after landing, at POE when they see your AP and canadian landing papers they might question you about your intensions. They might write some comments in their system which can have affect on your 485.