Questions for Nkelkar. Please reply.

sudiptabhaskar

Registered Users (C)
Nkelkar, first of all thanks a lot for taking this time and posting all these which are immensely helpful. I really appreciate your help.

Also note that you will most probably not get the passport back the same day of the interview.
My interview was on June 26th, I did not get my passport back till the 29th. I went to the VFS everyday.

I had the same. My interview was on 26th June and visa stamp was 29th June 9.52am. Since I was local to Mumbai I just went to the VFS every day and checked if the passport was ready.

Point to note here is that don't plan on flying back right after the interview.
If you are local to mumbai then give 3-4 days to get passport back, If not local then give atleast a week.

that is the problem. VFS says that you can pick up the passport that very evening. And now the reality is this. I am planning to fly to Calcutta the next day and fly back to Mumbai on the 5th to catch my flight to Toronto that night. so that would mean I have three options?

1. Stay put in Mumbai until I receive our passportsd and I hope the whole family doesn't nees to stay back, I can pick it up on their behalf.
2. Go back to Calcutta and give VFS my Calcutta address and hope that I will get it back before the 5th.
3. Come back and pick it up on the 5th (very risky).

There is no way they would give me back my passport huh while I wait for the packet?
VFS provides the Stars and Stripes lounge service on the day of the interview for Rs 200 per person. I did not avail of this. There is no need to. Just go to the Consulate at around 7.00 am and they will call all immigarnt visa applicants to the front of the line at around 7.10am.
What is this? A scheme to get your money?

And one last question, my visa fess are already paid..I hope I can pay any other fee at VFS in cash right?

Allow at least couple of days to get your passport. According to VFS you have very little chance of getting your passport on the same day. To me my interview was on 25th June, Visa was issued only on 27th 3:30, If I had pick up from VFS, I would get only on 28th. Looks like Nkelkar's experience is same as mine. VFS Uses Blue dart, Most places the courier will reach with in 3 rd day.

Play safe.. You must have waited for this long.. give it couple more days...

Yes you can pay all your fees at VFS in Cash..

Hope this helps.. Good luck...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks..

My address is of Toronto Canada as per 230 part 1, I am not sure if I can ask VFS to courier it to a local address or not.. but even if they don't and I need to pick it up myself woudl they hold it for a couple of days for me..

In other words if I need to pick it up on the 27th and can't be there on the 27th can I pick it up on the 29th instead? It wuldn't be a problem if they take a local (calcutta) address from me.

They will ask you a local address.
Also they dont hold the passport. If you dont pick it up the day it is ready they will dispatch it by courier.
Thats why i went to the VFS everyday.

Update: So that people can look up for reference in the future..

1. Only one person is allowed to pick up passports for the whole family.
2. VFS accepts cash.
3. Got my passport and packet back the same day.
4. VFS did ask for a local address.

Thanks

Sudipta