Questions about interview with Name change at newark

lca

Registered Users (C)
I have my interview at Newark in 3 days.
I have requested last name change in my N400.

My questions are:
1. What happens during the interview for name change candidates? How different is it?

2. Will I also get my naturalization certificate and oath done on the same day as the interview?

3. Do I get any additional name change document?

4. Do I need to make any additional visits to Newark do get everything done?

Anyone with prior experience with name change at Newark please comment...
Thanks
-lca

1. What happens during the interview for name change candidates? How different is it?

The interview for name change candidates is no different that those without name change except that you will opt for name change when the IO goes through your N-400 application during the interview.

2. Will I also get my naturalization certificate and oath done on the same day as the interview?

It is unlikely that you will both nat. certificate and oath done on the same day if you opt for name change because USCIS has no authority to legally change applicants name. The name change can only done through court order and for that your oath ceremony has to be a judicial oath ceremony presided by a judge.

3. Do I get any additional name change document?

Yes. YOu will get a court order for name change and your nat. certificate.

4. Do I need to make any additional visits to Newark do get everything done?
I don't think so. YOu just need to attend the interview.

Anyone with prior experience with name change at Newark please comment...
Thanks
-lca

Although my wife did not go through name change at Newark the process will be somewhat similar if not exactly the same. So use my responses as a guideline.

Can someone else who has changed name at NEWARK office comment on my question....

Will I get my naturalization certificate and oath done on the same day as the interview, even though I have elected to change my lastname?

hi lca last month march 21st at newark i had my interview during that time i ask them to change my last name. i want to change my maiden name to my husbands lastname.they ask me whether i have my marriage certificate i show them they take a copy of that marriage certificate then they change my last name .oath also done same day no problem at all .once u got ur citizenship certificate . after that u want to change any name that would be done in front of court and u have to pay lots of money .so better change ur name during interview.

My experience on March 13th at Atlanta DO was very similar to Jigujigu. Infact I never asked for a name change but they opted to change my last name to my husband's last name. There was no judicial process. Infact, I have changed my name in SSN, Driver's licence, workplace and our mortgage. I did not find any difficulty and was never asked for any judicial order.

I also took oath on the same day.

nss