Questions about First Renewal and Changing Status

goldencompass

Registered Users (C)
Hi all;

I've posted once before and the info was helpful, so I thought I'd try again: I'm changing employers but I'm in the same category; have a Masters degree from UC Berkeley and halfway to my Ph.D. also have certification - my category is Vocational Counselor.

1. What do people here think the chances are for getting a second TN? My first application went so easily, I got it in five min. at Vancouver airport.

2. Is it possible to change to a longer visa status (like an H Visa or a Green Card) while holding a TN? If so, is it hard to do?

Thanks so much!

1) I think if you got the first one, getting a second one will be just as easy.

2) TN is the easiest, quickest (1 day), and least expensive(~$50?). H1b is a little more involved, takes longer (3 months, and you may need to wait until October if the visas have run out), and also is more expensive ($1000 - $2000 including LC). GC is the most involved, takes the longest (3-6 years), and is the most expensive ($4K - $8K depending on the lawyer, and your specific issues), but you wouldn't have to renew a GC, unless you decided to leave the US for more than 2 years.

It depends on what your plans are. If you plan on moving back to Canada some day, stay on a TN. There is little advantage to switching to an H1b in this respect. If you don't know when you might move back, TN gives you the flexibilty of renewing every year indefinitely. H1b only gives you 6 years max. Neither one will allow your spouse work, since an H4, and TD do not alow for work. The spouse would need to get thier own work visa. A GC is pseudo-permanent. You won't need to renew it, but if you move back to Canada, you will lose it. You spouse and children also get GCs when you get one, so they will be able to work eventually. Getting a GC is the only way you can eventually qualify to apply for US citizenship.

For getting a GC while on a TN, you can read the second post here:
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=152852

Last edited by a moderator:
Please note. Each TN is a new application, not a renewal. The word "renewal" implies applying over and over again.......not the intent of a one year TN. Using the word renewal can result in denial or questioning at some borders.
So remember, each TN is a new application as an employer has decided to offer you an up-to-one year position.

Thanks

Yes I realize it's not a renewal and a new application. Sorry I used the wrong term. Anyone here think there's any difference between Pearson Airport and the Peace Bridge in terms of getting the Visa?