Questioned after coming back in w/new passport

desi_2004

Registered Users (C)
All,

My wife and I became US citizens in the first week of June and received our expedited US passports in a couple of weeks. I traveled to Mexico on vacation last week for 5 days. While going out of the US, the new passports were swiped by the airline officials and all was well.

But on the way back, both my wife and I (kids were OK with their old passports) were asked to go in by the immigration officer and be questioned. Apparently, the immigration information with them says that the GCs were not returned back, and the immigration officer asked us if we had our GCs on us (asked not just once but twice over a period of 10 mins) !!! I had to state twice that the naturalization ceremony officers ensure that each person returns the GC back prior to receiving their naturalization certs - never thought that I would have to state that to an immigration officer. It was really disappointing - I have had to go to the inside questioning room some 3 times while traveling on a GC and had thought that would not be needed anymore on becoming a US citizen. They let us go eventually after taking note of the naturalization ceremony date - but it took us about half an hour with impatient kids in tow. We were also told that "hopefully, you do not have this issue next time you travel" - !!!

Questions are -

Is it just a matter of time before the status of the GCs return is reflected on our records? (maybe a month is too less?)

Did anyone else experience something similar - did they call someone to get this corrected?

Thanks

desi_2004 said:
All,

My wife and I became US citizens in the first week of June and received our expedited US passports in a couple of weeks. I traveled to Mexico on vacation last week for 5 days. While going out of the US, the new passports were swiped by the airline officials and all was well.

But on the way back, both my wife and I (kids were OK with their old passports) were asked to go in by the immigration officer and be questioned. Apparently, the immigration information with them says that the GCs were not returned back, and the immigration officer asked us if we had our GCs on us (asked not just once but twice over a period of 10 mins) !!! I had to state twice that the naturalization ceremony officers ensure that each person returns the GC back prior to receiving their naturalization certs - never thought that I would have to state that to an immigration officer. It was really disappointing - I have had to go to the inside questioning room some 3 times while traveling on a GC and had thought that would not be needed anymore on becoming a US citizen. They let us go eventually after taking note of the naturalization ceremony date - but it took us about half an hour with impatient kids in tow. We were also told that "hopefully, you do not have this issue next time you travel" - !!!

Questions are -

Is it just a matter of time before the status of the GCs return is reflected on our records? (maybe a month is too less?)

Did anyone else experience something similar - did they call someone to get this corrected?

Thanks

I would not worry about is too much going forward. It appears that immigration updates have not gone through their systems yet. I traveled after 4 months from the date I received the passport and did not have any issues (nor did I have any issues when I had my GC).

BTW...the airlines only scans it for data entry, like you passport, name etc., and they have no way of verifying your official status (it is up to immigration at the port of entry to verify the authenticity of your passport/GC).