Question to seniors of the forum

PK65

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I want to ask if at all it is necessary to get your passport stamped one the GC is approved, can't you wait until you get the actual card in mail and therefore skip the process of stamping. Can you please guide.

Appreciate a reply
thanks

WAC-02-093-XXXXX

RD: Jan 17, 2002
ND: Jan 24, 2002

Better idea...

How about skipping with the plastic card too and wait for the citizenship...?

PK65 said:
Hi All,

I want to ask if at all it is necessary to get your passport stamped one the GC is approved, can't you wait until you get the actual card in mail and therefore skip the process of stamping. Can you please guide.

Appreciate a reply
thanks

WAC-02-093-XXXXX

How about even better idea?

All the immigrant portal members get to give you 10 lashes each.

I won't call myself smart or clever. In fact I think I am pretty dumb.

But its consolation to see that there are far more dumber people
than me.

PK65 said:
Hi All,

Appreciate a reply
thanks

WAC-02-093-XXXXX

Just follow the instructions on your approval notice. If you fail to do so, you will be in trouble. Act according to law, because it is legal matter (as every one is getting passport stamped after approval of I-485).

PK65 said:
Hi All,

Appreciate a reply
thanks

WAC-02-093-XXXXX

The only acceptable and legal proof of your permanent residency is the actual card, and until the card arrives, the stamp in your passport. Without the stamp you cannot travel out of US or prove work authorization to your employer.
Moreover you have to show up at USCIS office for a final fingerprinting, which appears on the actual card. If you do not show up the card cannot be produced.

PK65 said:
Hi All,

Appreciate a reply
thanks

WAC-02-093-XXXXX

Well, you have to go to USCIS office and give them your ADIT pictures, fingerprints, and signature. Without these three items, you cannot get plastic card (bacuase your plastic card contains all these three informations). Therefore, these three items are mandatory to get a plastic GC card.
Now coming to stamping on passport. I do not think it's mandatory, but this stamp works as a temporary GC card until you receive your plastic card. Now if you want to save one page of your passport and therefore don't want stamping on your passport, the officer will probably entertain your request. But remember, your AP, EAD becomes ALL invalid and you cannot go in and out of country until you receive your plastic card. Is that OK?

In past, people did not need to go to USCIS office to get plastic card. ADIT pictures, fingerprints and singnatures were all taken in the time of I-485 application. But time has changed, probably they want you to go to USCIS office to avoid any GC fraud.

pralay said:
Well, you have to go to USCIS office and give them your ADIT pictures, fingerprints, and signature. Without these three items, you cannot get plastic card (bacuase your plastic card contains all these three informations). Therefore, these three items are mandatory to get a plastic GC card.
Now coming to stamping on passport. I do not think it's mandatory, but this stamp works as a temporary GC card until you receive your plastic card. Now if you want to save one page of your passport and therefore don't want stamping on your passport, the officer will probably entertain your request. But remember, your AP, EAD becomes ALL invalid and you cannot go in and out of country until you receive your plastic card. Is that OK?

In past, people did not need to go to USCIS office to get plastic card. ADIT pictures, fingerprints and singnatures were all taken in the time of I-485 application. But time has changed, probably they want you to go to USCIS office to avoid any GC fraud.
Nice post Pralay! Bang on target.

PK65,

The reason behind the sarcastic posts is that people here have been waiting over 2 years to get that bloody stamp, and here you are being frivilous (in our opinion) about it. But the reasons behind the stamp are absolutely essential, as pralay mentioned, you need the stamp to work/travel and ensure that at some point you get the actual card.

Actually, I asked my lawyer this question, way back in March 2002. I was so sure my I-485 would be approved by that summer (sic!) that I was looking at ways to avoid standing in line in front of CIS office in San Jose.
His answer was very straightforward - there is no way of getting around this, you have to go through passport stamping, that's part of the procedure and you just have to do it.

My dear PK65, if CIS gave me the GC now, I'd go and wait there the whole week to get the stamp.