Question regarding travel during waiver process

Kyle H

Hi friends,

I previously held J-1 visa and currently getting my waiver of 212(e). Now I am in F1 status. My waiver case is with DOS now and it is still pending (NOL from my embassy has been received).

My question is, can I travel to my home country while the case is pending and when I come back to US (in F1 Status), will I be accused of immigrant intent?

Thank you all for the help and wish you everything goes well!!

What happened with this case? I am on a similar case.

I am wondering if I should travel while waiting for the NOL from my government. My current visa expires may 2016 and but my ds2019 is valid until Dec 2016.

I am a Grad student on a J1. I would like to go home this April to renew my visa in order to be able to travel in September to Europe. Since I have already sent my end of the documents to the WRD, I am not sure if getting a new visa would hurt my case.

My other hesitation is if traveling before or after the waiver is issued would cause me a problem since the process has been started. Any thoughts? I am very worried at this point. HELP! What should I do?

Once you have applied for J1 waiver, you are not allowed to extend your DS2019. As far as I know, you can not extend/apply for J1 VISA even with a valid DS2019 after filing J1 waiver. If you are filing a new J1 visa application with new SEVIS number, then you can apply for a J1 visa. But that will come up with a new 212. Double check with attorney Rajiv Khanna.

Hello @gc2016

I'm in a similar case. My waiver is on the process and I am currently waiting for Favorable Recommendation of DoS to the USCIS. My visa sponsor is offering another 2 year J1 visa. Can I extend while waiting for approval?

thank you