Question Regarding Approval Notice and AR-11

swamy00

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I moved from Cincinnati to Cleveland but still hold my apartment in Cincinnati. I have asked post office to hold mail and I will collect it once in 2 or 3 weeks.

Can somebody clarify the following :

1. Does the approval notice come by regular mail or it comes as a registered mail and needs signature.

2. Will the post office hold this type of mail (from BCIS) like other ones for 2 or 3 weeks.

3. Can I give change of address when I go for stamping at the local office or is it mandatory that I need to send AR-11 only to VSC from where we got approved.

4. I am planning to get my passport stamped from cleveland eventhough my original address is in cincinnati. Should I call the BCIS at Cleveland to schedule an appointment for stamping.

Thanks in advance guys and best of luck to all in waiting.

Swamy00

1. Does the approval notice come by regular mail or it comes as a registered mail and needs signature.

As all mails from BCIS, they will come in only as regular mail. I don't have experience regarding approval notice of I-485, but for Finger print notice, EAD cards etc, they all came in a small evenlop as regular mails. I heard from my friends that even for the GC, they use regular mail. So if it gets lost, it's gone.

2. Will the post office hold this type of mail (from BCIS) like other ones for 2 or 3 weeks.

From previous posts I read, the INS (now BCIS) requires the post office to return any undelivered mail to INS(BCIS). Again, if the mail got returned, you can never locate it. (Think about millions of letters BCIS received every day)

3. Can I give change of address when I go for stamping at the local office or is it mandatory that I need to send AR-11 only to VSC from where we got approved.

You have to send AR-11 to London, KY within 10 days of your moving. It's required by Law. You do not have to send AR-11 to VSC and I think it's better to call IIO to change address over the phone. If you have a lawyer to handle your case, all the notices except for GC card will be sent to your lawyer. So even if you do not update your address to VSC, your lawyer will still receive the approval notice. Then at the time of stamping, you can change the address at that time to receive your plastic card.
check the link http://www.immigration.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/ar-11.htm

4. I am planning to get my passport stamped from cleveland eventhough my original address is in cincinnati. Should I call the BCIS at Cleveland to schedule an appointment for stamping.

A call does not hurt, why not?

Swamy00

All the mail from BCIS comes by regular mail. Nothing needs signature. I collected my friend's plastic card from his mail box, when he was gone to India.

Postoffice will hold anytype of mail, except signature required, for the period you requested in the form(there is some maximum permitted time)

When you say, you are still holding your Cincinatti apartment and planning to collect the mail for every 2-3 weeks, then why did you ask the postoffice to hold the mail - this part I couldn't understand. You should have let all the mail stay in your mail box instead of post office.
Regarding change of address, I agree with compaqdb.

Mind you, post office will not forward certain letters, which doesn't say 'forwarding service requested', like state, county letters. (My car registration papers of PA state, were not forwarded to me, though I gave forwarding address).

My understanding is, you can get it stamped in any field office, as long as you carry your approval notice.

- Bob

Thanks bbbishp and compaqdb , read on

Hi,

Thanks guys for your sincere reply.

Compaqdb :

But since I am holding the mail , it cannot considered an undeliverable mail and returned to BCIS correct?.

Thanks for the link to AR-11 form . Is there a way to handover the form AR-11 at the local INS when I go for stamping.

bbbishp :

I have asked the post office to hold the mail because my mail box will overflow in 2 or 3 weeks time that is the time interval I will go to cincinnati. There is no one there in my apartment too back in cincinnati.

Thanks again guys.

Swamy00