Question... PP expiring and RFE pending, get a new PP?

GCdreamin

Registered Users (C)
Hey folks....

I have a slight, tini-wini dilemma. Would appreciate info from the wisened.

My PP is expiring (final) in Mar'03. I have received an RFE Sep17. Couple of questions:
1. Does the PP need to be valid for at least 6 months (like for most travel visas), when I go for stamping (speaking optimistically), yes or no?
2. A corollary to the first Q., will a new PP complicate the situation as previous documentation submitted with the I485 will have a different PP#.

I know this is sort of trivial to many... but I would like to know the least bumpy course of action (i.e. least immigration process burden).

Thanks.

RD 08/03; ND 09/26; FP 01/22; RFE 09/17

No problem

GCdreamin,

I was in similar situation with PP expiring on 11/01/02. I waited for the approval but then I recently got my PP renewed. I have not received any rfe or approval :( Still waitiing.

I am not sure about the answer of first question. But I understand that new PP number does pose any problem because most things are based mainly on A# (or file #). I would say it is better to have it in new PP than old.

But be careful if you have Indian PP, there are some very "competent" "professionals" in the consulate. They forgot to write my first name on the new PP (the laminated page). So I have a PP with no first name and there is an observation on the first blank page stating that my first name is "...." and last name is "....". I wonder how many times will I be questioned at different POEs for that suspicious looking PP.

I hope it helps.

Your passport should be valid for atleast 6 months for the stamping. Otherwise they will not stamp the passport. But you will receive the cards anyway about 2 months after you apper for PP stamping.

There will not be any problem if you renew your passport. In case of RFE you send the copies of both old and new passports. For stamping, they will need only your current one.

Krishnagc/Tanatan, thanks for the info. I was inclined to do it, but wasn't sure. This is good reassurance.

Tanantan, sorry to hear about you PP situation. Its scary to think what silly mistakes the consulate can make in a simple thing as passport fron page, that one has to live with. I suppose this stuff is trivial to them... I hope the Indian consulate in NYC will be on the ball!