Question on travel after interview

rollstream

Registered Users (C)
Posting for a friend of mine-

I received an interview letter recently, with an ID of June 2. However, I have booked tickets to travel abroad in mid-June (non-business, personal travel). It seems like the Jacksonville, Florida DO (where I am scheduled to appear) is processing applications relatively fast. If the oath letter is sent when I am out of the country, or if it gets lost in the mail, there is no way for me to know when the oath date will be. Besides, there have been instances where the letter came in as late as two days prior to the oath ceremony (seen it on this forum).

Should that happen, more than likely it could result in a missed oath appointment, the repercussions of which may not be desirable. I am going through this process a second time owing to a typo on our first application for naturalization submitted a few years ago. At that time, just before the oath, I was informed that an error has been noted, and advised to start the process all over again. So, I am wary of missing an appointment now. I do not know if the Jacksonville, Florida DO has planned a few oath ceremonies around late June / July 4th (being Independence Day). Last year, there were big ceremonies around this time. I will be gone for about three weeks which may result in my not being able to attend more than one oath ceremony.

Any thoughts, input etc. would be appreciated. Being the second time, taking any chances with the whole process makes me uncomfortable. If any of you have previous experience with the Jacksonville DO, that would be helpful too.

Thanks. No, there is no such schedule online. If the trip abroad is for personal reasons, and not for business purposes (when it could possibly not be rescheduled), would that negatively impact a request for rescheduling the INS appointment? I guess there is no certainty about these things...

I am in the same situation as you. A friend of mine who had the same issue last year told me that he informed the interviewer about his travel plan during the interview. The interviewer was very accomodating and my friend's oath was scheduled 2 weeks after he returned to US.