Question on N-470

MNA2020

Hi all

I will appreciate advice to plan my eventual naturalization properly.

I work for the UN (an international organization, which the US is a party of, and is headquartered in the US). There is a prospect of a position abroad for 4 years, I am very interested in. I have been an LPR since September 2020. I need to take up the position over the summer (say in July 2023) and by then I will have accumulated 32-33 months of physical presence.

If I take the overseas position, my spouse and kids (all got their green cards at the same time as me in Sep. 2020) will remain in the US. It means that I will keep my house and car in the US, pay the mortgage, pay my taxes, maintain my driver's license, etc. I also plan to keep traveling back to the US every 4-6 months for a couple of weeks at least.

Questions:
  • I have not traveled outside of the US from September 2020 to January 2023 but traveled a couple of times since Jan. 2023. Am I eligible for N-470? i.e. does the requirement of one uninterrupted year for N-470 filing apply to the period immediately preceding to the application, or any period since I became the LPR? If the latter, then I am eligible.
  • Does the fact that my immediate family remains in the US, along with my house, mortgage, etc., help support my case that I retained my residence in the US?
  • If I apply for the naturalization at the exact 5-year point – i.e., Sep. 2025 – does it mean that I will already have fulfilled the minimum 30-month physical residence requirement?
  • Finally, I will plan to travel back to the US for the naturalization application and but I heard/read about the requirement of staying 3 months in the district before the application. Does it apply in my case, if I get the N-470 approved?
Thank you