Question on I-864

mdnajeeb

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

My interview is Nov. I would be glad if some one can help me with these questions. I am married to a US Citizen.

1) My last year tax return shows only my name because I was not married that year. Can my wife use this income for Financial Support(assuming I fill I-864A). Note that we are in the same residence for the last 9 months (2005 only)

2) I only have 1 year tax return (2004) because I was student earlier (without any job). Is this a valid excuse for not being able to show 3 year tax returns? Or is it necessary for me to search other sponsors? I do not have any returns copy for 2002 because I did not do any job in that period. I filed it though.

Thanks a lot.

mdnajeeb said:
Hi,

My interview is Nov. I would be glad if some one can help me with these questions. I am married to a US Citizen.

1) My last year tax return shows only my name because I was not married that year. Can my wife use this income for Financial Support(assuming I fill I-864A). Note that we are in the same residence for the last 9 months (2005 only)

Yes, you could use your income as long as you meet/exceed the minimum income requirements. You qualify to file as Sponsored immigrant/Household member

2) I only have 1 year tax return (2004) because I was student earlier (without any job). Is this a valid excuse for not being able to show 3 year tax returns? Or is it necessary for me to search other sponsors? I do not have any returns copy for 2002 because I did not do any job in that period. I filed it though.
Its advisable to get a co-sponsor as you dont meet the 3 year requirement of tax returns.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Concerning your second question. We were in the same situation. Combined income and I only had 2 tax returns. We attached an explanation about missing 3rd tax return that I simply wasn't in the country for whole 3 year tax period. It was't a problem whatsoever. However, as ari4u said, the best bet is to get a co-sponsor if you can.