Question on family based OCI application

essp

Registered Users (C)
Hi, My wife recently got her US citizen and is applying for OCI along with the kids based on the family based OCI application. I already have the OCI card. The information for spouse section in that online form seems to be mandatory. Is she supposed to include my information in the spouse section when I already have the OCI card?

Thanks,
Makan

Yes, you can submit the family OCI application without one spouse's info

Go ahead and fill the online form with just your wife's and your kids' information only. Even though the info fields for you (i.e. spouse of your wife) appears to be mandatory on the online application, it is not. Think of it this way, fill in the appropriate details of ONLY the people who are applying for OCI. When you submit the online application, it will accept the submission without your details.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go ahead and fill the online form with just your wife's and your kids' information only. Even though the info fields for you (i.e. spouse of your wife) appears to be mandatory on the online application, it is not. Think of it this way, fill in the appropriate details of ONLY the people who are applying for OCI. When you submit the online application, it will accept the submission without your details.

Thanks for the reply! After posting the question on this user forum, I had spoken to the customer support of Travisa, SFO office and was told that my wife should enter my information on the family based online application form even though I already have the OCI card. I am not sure how knowledgeable their customer support is, but based on their recommendation, my wife entered my details in the application which generated a new OCI application for me. We are planning to send all the forms EXCEPT mine (since I already have the OCI). Hope that will be fine.

I also had another question on the Form PART B (Other details of applicants) where it asks "Have you / any member of your family applied for OCI registration earlier?" I believe my OCI details need to be entered here. Please confirm.

Thanks again!!!

My advice for you is to re-apply online with a fresh application with just your wife's and kids' info. Remember that even if you do not submit your printed page of info with the online application that your wife just did, the application ID in their databases will have recorded that you also had included your info as an OCI applicant in the original online submission. Who knows whether it will trigger a flag on their end thinking that the OCI submission was incomplete because your documents were not included with this OCI submission. I seriously would suggest you re-do this because like I said, you can submit a family-based OCI application without one of the parents. How do I know? I had done it with just myself and one of my sons and without my wife.

For that question in Part B, the answer should be yes and include the info regarding your OCI application and details.

Last edited by a moderator:
My advice for you is to re-apply online with a fresh application with just your wife's and kids' info. Remember that even if you do not submit your printed page of info with the online application your wife just did, the application ID in their databases will have recorded that you also had your info in the original OCI application submission. Who knows whether it will trigger a flag on their end thinking that the OCI submission was incomplete because your documents were not included with this OCI submission. I seriously would suggest you re-do this because like I said, you can submit a family-based OCI application without one of the parents. How do I know? I did it with just myself and one of my sons and without my wife.

For that question in Part B, you should answer yes and include the info regarding your OCI application and details.

Thanks again for the advice. You are absolutely right. We have re-generated the forms without my details in Form A.

Sorry I have another question on the Travisa Order Form... My daughter is a minor and got her US citizenship through me. At that time, we had simply applied for her US passport and didn't apply for the naturalization certificate. While renouncing her Indian citizenship in Travisa Order Form, it's asking to enter her "Date of Naturalization" (It's a mandatory column). I read somewhere (on this forum) to submit a notarized letter from parent for Indian born minor that's renouncing the Indian citizenship, but not sure what should we enter her "Date of Naturalization"? This is a mandatory column to enter the date.

Thanks in advance!

Your daughter's date of naturalization is the same date that you naturalized. On the day you became a US citizen, she also did because she was a minor and got citizenship through derived naturalization.

Your daughter's date of naturalization is the same date that you naturalized. On the day you became a US citizen, she also did because she was a minor and got citizenship through derived naturalization.

Thank you very much!!!

Thank you very much!!!

Sorry spoke too early. When we entered my naturalization date as the date for my daughter in Travisa Order form, it added a penalty to her application (please see Family Member 2 details below). Any idea why there would a penalty of $250?

Here's what it shows in the form:

Family Member 2 Consular Fee: $278.00
Family Member 2 Processing Service Fee: $12.00
Family Member 2 Penalty: $250.00
Renunciation: $20.00
Family Member 3 Consular Fee: $278.00
Family Member 3 Processing Service Fee: $12.00
Consular Fee: $278.00
Processing Service Fee: $12.00
Renunciation: $175.00
Shipping from Travisa Outsourcing back to You: $0.00
Total Amount Due: $465.00

Thanks!

Travisa renunciation flowchart for penalty calculations

Did you (and your daughter) naturalize to US citizenship more than three years ago? Look at Travisa's renunciation flowchart for calculating any penalties.

I was naturalized over 5 years back and had my Indian passport canceled at that time. However, my daughter applied and got her US passport in September, 2011 (around 2-3 months back). It's very weird that they are adding a penalty in this scenario. How about mentioning her US passport issue date as her naturalization date?

Thanks!

I was naturalized over 5 years back and had my Indian passport canceled at that time. However, my daughter applied and got her US passport in September, 2011 (around 2-3 months back). It's very weird that they are adding a penalty in this scenario. How about mentioning her US passport issue date as her naturalization date?

Thanks!

Looks like it's going to be $75 extra. So, why make a fuss about it. I will pay the penalty. Thank you again!

How did you get the $75 figure? Did you contact Travisa and ask them about this?

I spoke to Travisa afterwards and was told that I will have to pay the $250 penalty based on my naturalization date. When I argued, she said that I need to apply for my daughter's separate naturalization certificate (if I don't want to pay the penalty) OR else I can send the application with a $175 check (I think that's what they typically charge as renunciation fee for folks that got naturalized after June/2010) and let the Consulate to decide about the actual fee. So decided not to delay the process by paying the penalty (we will end up spending more and energy if we apply for her separate naturalization certificate). $75 is the difference amount between the penalty of $250 and the normal renunciation fee of $175.

I spoke to Travisa afterwards and was told that I will have to pay the $250 penalty based on my naturalization date. When I argued, she said that I need to apply for my daughter's separate naturalization certificate (if I don't want to pay the penalty) OR else I can send the application with a $175 check (I think that's what they typically charge as renunciation fee for folks that got naturalized after June/2010) and let the Consulate to decide about the actual fee. So decided not to delay the process by paying the penalty (we will end up spending more and energy if we apply for her separate naturalization certificate). $75 is the difference amount between the penalty of $250 and the normal renunciation fee of $175.

Hang on, I think the penalty of $250 is in addition to the renunciation fee of $175. You better double check this because I think they want $425 in total for your daughter's renunciation and penalty.

Hang on, I think the penalty of $250 is in addition to the renunciation fee of $175. You better double check this because I think they want $425 in total for your daughter's renunciation and penalty.

This is what the Order Form shows for my daughter:

- Service Fee $12.00
- Additional Fee $250.00 -> Penalty
$20.00 -> Renunciation
- Consular Fee $278.00

I think the renunciation fee for folks that got naturalized prior to Jun/2010 is $20.00 (it is $175 after Jun/2010), but have to pay a penalty if the passport didn't get surrendered on time. In our case, that's (the penalty) not applicable as we applied for her US passport recently even though I got my OCI and had canceled my passport long time back. Since she is using my naturalization date which is very old, we were told to pay a penalty.

Please let me know if I am missing something here.

Another idea

Oh ok so you're really paying $270 ($20 fee+ $250 penalty) to renounce your daughter's Indian passport/citizenship and are paying $95 more. Here's an interesting thought ... You should be able to claim your daughter derived citizenship through your wife's recent naturalization (instead of yours). Using that more recent date, no penalties apply and she just pays the regular $175 fees.

Oh ok so you're really paying $270 ($20 fee+ $250 penalty) to renounce your daughter's Indian passport/citizenship and are paying $95 more. Here's an interesting thought ... You should be able to claim your daughter derived citizenship through your wife's recent naturalization (instead of yours). Using that more recent date, no penalties apply and she just pays the regular $175 fees.

Actually I had thought about it earlier, but I don't think that's possible in my case as my daughter applied and got her US passport (through me) even before my wife obtained her US citizenship.

Thanks very much for all your guidance! Much appreciated!!!