question for wantmygcnow or other knowledgeable people on the forum

gcapplication06

Registered Users (C)
Hi

My question may have been asked before many times and you guys have given your opinoins or suggestions many times but please respond one more time if you guys can.

I just applied for my I-485 and also i didnt know that renewing my NP isnt allowed and i already renewd my NP as there was some emergency going on at my home and i was thinking of visiting back home.

Now the situation is this that back home my mother is sick and my father had open heart surgery. I want to visit back home to see them coz i just think i will never be able to forgive myself if God forbid something bad happens back home. I want to apply for RTD and I dont want to lie abt anything and mention the whole situation why i want to visit back home and why did i renew my passport. I already made my mind to apply for it and either way i will apply no mater what the consequences will be. I think that as i already renewd my NP so I have to mention it sometime during my pending I485 or later in the naturalization process. So I would rather do it now and get over with it. I just want to know if you can tell me some situation like mine what happened in that or what do u think about my plan to go and apply for my RTD by mentioning the whole circumstances.

Please respond back to me asap.

Thanks alot

I am not one of those posters you were asking a response from but I hope what I say may be helpful to you. Do not mention anything about renewing your NP in your application unless you are asked. I renewed my NP just before I applied for GC. And actually at the time I called INS and talked to an officer saying that the countries I was going to visit that summer requtred visas for my RTD while they do not require visas for my NP so I asked if I can use my NP instead while only use the RTD to enter the US port; he said sure and I had zero problem abroad or when I got back in...There is no law that says you can not renew your NP. Renewing your NP does not auromatically mean you will use it to go to your home country so what they care about is not whether you renewed it or not but wheher you went to your COP and how many times you did it and why you did it. For instance when my GC arrives I will use my alredy-renewed NP + GC to travel abroad instead of paying ridiculous amounts for a RTD each year (and renewing it every single year, what a ripoff) . So you renewing your NP alone does not mean anything. You may be questioned about your COP visits regardless of whether you renewed your NP or not. And since you want to be frank about it from the getgo, do not get a RTD. There is a special permit you need to get; don't know its name, but it is a permit that allows you to go to your COP for emergency cases while you ae an asylee. In order ro get it you need to show/prove what is so emergency about it (hospital bills, a letter from a doctor, etc) . I am sure you can get more info about it on the USCIS site. My friend who already had a RTD did not use her RTD and instead got this permit when her brother died to attend his funeral (not to mention that her mother and father had died previously and her brother was the her only sibling and her only immediate relative left. It would be impossible for her not to get that permit, and she did).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks alot fro ur response clotty. In I131 i dont see anything specific to visit COP in case of emergencey, and being an asylee i dont think I have any options other then applying foir RTD and while doing this there is a question abt renewing the NP which i already did.....

I want to be prepared for worst case scenario, say if i mention all this and they cancel my asylum what will be the process will they deport me immdeiately or will they put me in court proceeedings and during that time will i be able to work or not?? and usually how long these cases take incase it goes upto that extent....

please respond , thanks

Clkotty can you please get me the name of that permit from ur friend and which form did she fill out for that permit (Thanks a hole lot good ppl of this forum, wish i found it long time agoi :( )

My friend was an asylee too, for the same reasons I am. And like I said she got an emergemcy permit, and did NOT use her RTD which she already had at the time. I strongly advise you to call INS and try to get that permit instead.

Like I said in the PM to you, call INS for any questions that you may not find an answer to on their site. Talk to a high-rank officer. Then the next day call INS again and talk to another officer asking the same thing (to me it is better to get opinions of more than one officer to be on the safe side). When you hear more than one or two officers say the same thing, take their guidance and do what they told you to do. Remember, from this point on INS is your friend (unless you betray the friend by being dishonest). As long as you are innocent , do not hesitate to ask INS about anything. That is what I always do.

gcapplication06,
You should apply Advance Parole instead of RTD. While landing at COP and coming out of your COP you should show this Advance Parole and renewed passport to immigration and airlines at the time of departure from your COP. This is my suggestion that you should not use RTD as Immigration officials at your COP would arrest you at the time of landing.
Paarey

gcapplication06, my friend got that permit more than two years ago and I have not spoken to her for eight months, so I do not want to call her just for this. But like the poster above said it might be Advance Parole. All I know is that she showed proof of her emergency (the death of her brother) to get this permit (she went to the local INS office for it, because her case was really an emergency. She was the only immediate relative of her brother; she had to be there for his funeral) and at the time she already had her RTD but did not use it. Like I said before, I suggest you call INS today.