Question for Candain citizen and GC

wmalik

I was canadian resident and applied for the canadain citizenship, and married to us citizen and moved to US, have a green card and living in US. Now I recieved a letter from Canada to take a oath of candain citizenship. Can go to Canada and take a Candian citizenship oath, would it effect my greec card status or later on naturlaization to the US citizenship?

wmalik said:
I was canadian resident and applied for the canadain citizenship, and married to us citizen and moved to US, have a green card and living in US. Now I recieved a letter from Canada to take a oath of candain citizenship. Can go to Canada and take a Candian citizenship oath, would it effect my greec card status or later on naturlaization to the US citizenship?

You can go take your oath for Canadian citizenship. It should not affect your US green card as long as you are fulfilling the USPR requirements (e.g. you are permanently residing in the USA and filing resident taxes etc.).

It will not affect US naturalization later on. One of the factors that affect US naturalization is if you apply for citizenship of another country by choice, after you become a US Citizen....

In your case when you apply for US naturalization, you are already a canadian citizen (no issues in this case). Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I was born in Canada so never had to research the ins-ands-outs of immigrating there, but I would have one piece of advice: please learn how to spell Canadian if you really want to become one.

Best wishes...