Question about Unemployment insurance

basam nath

Registered Users (C)
Hello friends,

I got my GC stamped in April . I got laid off on june 30th.
Is it okay to use the unemployment benefits being on GC status $210/week. Some of my friends said that there are some issues if you register/enroll for unemployment benefits unless you are a citizen.

please share your thoughts

No Title

No It is not a good idea, We H1 immigrants are treated differently from Family based immigrants because we pay taxes not because we scramble to get public benefits as soon as things go wrong. Form the tone of your message it seems that you have the option of avoiding it, if so, please do. Only under the most unavoidable circumstances seek public benefit. Please give me the same advice should I ask a similar question.

No Title

Basam,

a while back I had posted (in immigrationportal.com) on this topic about why one should consider applying unemployment benefits as a last resort.. Here are some key reasons..

1. Applying for unemployment is akin to living on welfare and this will reflect on your credit. This mainly affects getting loans atc to buy a car or a home.

2. As part of your I485 application, you should have submitted the affidavit of support document and the main purpose of this is that the Govt. wants to ensure that you won\'t live on public funds (unemployment checks is one of them). Applying for this benefit would be a direct contradiction. I am not sure however, how applying for this benefit would effect citizenship application. My feeling is it probably could.

3. While you can certainly use this benefit as a GC holder, remember that you have only 18 (or 26 , I am not sure) weeks of funding for your entire life. I am not sure how old you are but there are years ahead where you may need this money and being old, not many employers may want to hire you. This is when that money helps you.

4. While you are young and capable, the time you may spend getting the unemployment benefit by standing on long lines, you can certainly spend that time looking for a job and keep working to build up Social security for your senior years.

Hope this helps

Bhanu

No Title

What Nonsense!!! You are eligible for unemployment if you have worked for 20 base weeks at least and at the time of filing you are a citizen or have a valid Alien registration number which a GC holder and a EAD holder posseses. You can claim unemployment whenever required in your lifetime whenever your eligibility is met, i.e 20 base weeks work etc.

It is even more idiotic thing to say that claiming unemployment will make you have a bad credit report and will effect your citizenship application.

Instead of asking such important questions over here , you should try to find out the information yourself on the net. Just do a search. Anyway I have attached the URL for your benefit for NJ. For other states search with your state and labor as keywords.

http://www.state.nj.us/labor/uiex/main2.htm

No Title

Only thing which can hurt in any way is SSI social security. Unemployment benefits is actually a insurance you pay for it when you are working. So go ahead a collect it if you actually lost a job for not fault of your own.

So please do\'t spread any false information if you don\'t know. It is ironic that people never obeyed any law in the own country before GC. But in US they we make their own displine and laws are swear by it.

No Title

You have no idea of what you are tal=king about. SO please donot spread the virus. Unemployment insurance IS NOT public doleout!!!
It is from what you paid to the government from what you earned.
Irrespective of your status i.e H1 or Citizen you can collect
unemployment. WHy should collecting Unemployment affect your
credit; your credit already shows that you are UN-employed!!!!!!!

No Title

I know I eligible to claim Unemployment insurance, but I’m main applicant of GC (EB2), is it ok to claim Unemployment insurance? Does it effect my GC process?

No Title

As a main applicant of GC, you cannot apply for unemployment as the point of your GC application is based on your employment. Sorry about that. You can consult your attorney, But it\'s just common sense.