• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Question about tax return.

marvadur

Registered Users (C)
Actually, I have more than one question:

1) Does the winner himself have to submit the three most recent tax returns (that would be for the years 2002, 2003 and 2004) if he lives and works in the US or only a declaration from his company stating his salary will suffice?

2) If yes, does he need to submit both federal and state tax returns?

We are really clueless in this matter. :confused: Any thoughts?

Especially the winners who are doing AOS, do you guys submitted any tax return?

Thank you in advance,

Marvadur

Last edited by a moderator:
I have stipends from my university, i have SSH, i am planning to bring my taxes on interview for 2003 and 2004 yes (2002 i do not have). i really do not thing that they ever look on it, but i would like to be safe :) so take with you your taxes... (federal and state). in my interview appointement, they cleary said to bring taxes ....

Hi,

I was somewhat in your situation: 05DV winner, F1 visa, university funded.
However, I chose to do CP.
During my inetrview, neither my husband ( same situation) nor me were asked to show US tax returns. But, we had them in our file as they may have asked for them.
My personal opinion is that the consular officer did not care for tax returns from students. I think it would have been different for somebody on H1B.

However, for AOS, officers are usually more strict. In any case, it wouldn't hurt to bring them with you. It's better to be safe than sorry :p

You should have both federal and state tax returns. I don't know if you can ask for tax transcripts for state returns, but I am sure it is possible for federal.
The transcript can be ordered by completing a Form 4506-T (PDF) (irs.gov website) or calling (800) 829-1040 and following the prompts in the recorded message. There is no charge for the transcript and you should receive it in 10 business days from the time we receive your request.
Just be careful, transcripts are free, but not copies.

Does the winner himself have to submit the three most recent tax returns (that would be for the years 2002, 2003 and 2004) if he lives and works in the US or only a declaration from his company stating his salary will suffice?

Question here: you mean for evidence of support or taxes ?
It is not exactly the same.
A notarized letter from your employer is a proof of income => you have a job in the US => evidence of support.
Tax returns : you complied to the laws in the US : if you have a US income => US tax return.

Thanks.

Thank you Hmz, Borys and catseyes for your replies. I have almost all the papers needed for the AOS application. Hopefully, I will be sending my application at the beginning of February. I wish good luck to us all. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: